Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

ODSP AND SPONSORING YOUR WIFE 

sempa
sempa

Posted On: 3/6/2022
sempa
sempa
Hello everyone, my question is ( Am I eligible to sponsor my wife while on ODSP.) so many things happened in the past few years. From loosing love ones to i don't know where to start.. Now i applied to sponsor my wife and i am on ODSP. Eligibility Question: i know welfare and odsp is not the same thing but both falls under Social Assistance.. how does it work ???? Please Please help me answer this question if you have are going through similar experience or who dealt with it... i am loosing my nights sleep...constantly on anxiety.... Thank you so much.
link

Posted On: 3/25/2022
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You can find some information on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Website in the Sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child – Complete Guide (IMM 5289).

It states,

You can become a sponsor if you are:

[...]
  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability, and;
You must also be able to show that you can provide basic needs for:
  • yourself,
  • your spouse or partner,
  • your spouse or partner’s dependent child(ren) (if applicable)
  • your dependent child(ren) (if you’re sponsoring only your dependent child).
Note: In most cases, there is no low-income-cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships. However, if either a spouse or partner you’re sponsoring has as dependent child who has dependent children of their own, or a dependent child you are sponsoring has a dependent child of their own, you must meet a minimum LICO score, which is determined by the Canadian government each year.
If you must meet LICO requirements, you must include a Financial Evaluation (IMM 1283) form with your application (see your checklist for more details). If you live in Quebec, you don’t have to submit this form to IRCC. See subsection 1(3) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) for more information.

So as you can see it states that you may be eligible to sponsor if you meet the eligibility requirements, including being able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability. It may be helpful if you contact the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Call Centre directly to see if they can provide any additional information specific to your situation.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link