Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeDaily Life

Communications, Consumer Protection, Personal Finance, Shopping, Transportation, Weddings and Funerals...

Visa for Marriage? 

arlinns
arlinns

Posted On: 3/17/2022
arlinns
arlinns
My boyfriend, from Ireland, and I are looking to get married this year if we can. I can't find anywhere that specifies whether or not he has to be here on a Visa in order to get married? Would we still be able to get married if he came over to visit for a short period of time, or does he need to have a valid visitor's visa?

Thanks!
link

Posted On: 3/24/2022
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You can find some detailed information in our Settlement.Org articles How do I get married in Ontario? and Who can get married in Ontario?

Here is an excerpt,

To get married in Ontario, you do not have to be a Canadian citizen or live in Ontario. The first step to getting married in Ontario is to get a marriage license.

You can get married as a visitor in Ontario, but you may wish to consult a lawyer or immigration consultant regarding immigration and sponsorship pathways for your partner if you wish to live here. You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get? on how to find a reputable and registered lawyer or immigration consultant.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
devamona
devamona

Posted On: 3/5/2023
devamona
devamona
It's been almost a year since your post was published. Which visa is the right one for getting married? Did it work out for you?
link
KelvinN
KelvinN

Posted On: 2/5/2024
KelvinN
KelvinN
Your boyfriend can get married to you in Canada while visiting, without needing a specific visa. As long as he can legally enter Canada, either with a visitor's visa or under the Visa Waiver Program, you can proceed with the marriage.
link