Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR Card Renewal 

Jason_1382
Jason_1382

Posted On: 3/28/2022
Jason_1382
Jason_1382
My wife, myself & my 2 children (Daughter 5 years & Son 3 years) are all Canadian PR's since Sep 2019.
We are Indian Nationals living in Singapore.
We have done our first entry (stayed for just 15 days in Canada).
Our PR cards expire in Oct 2024.
We plan on moving to Canada in April 2023.

Question:
1) Would this affect our PR status since we will not have 730 days of stay in Canada when our cards expire? I read online that we do not need to renew our PR cards if we do not need to leave the country and we can wait until we have the 730 days and then renew the cards. Is this possible?
link

Posted On: 5/20/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may be interested in IRCC’s Physical Presence Calculator as a resource to help you calculate the physical presence requirement. The FAQ section has examples and scenarios that are particularly helpful.

You may also find helpful information in our Settlement.Org article What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?
To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period.
The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. For PR renewal, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years from that date. You may also find helpful information on this matter in the previous discussion forum thread, When does the 5-year period begin?

We hope this information is helpful. You may want to seek the advice a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for information specific to your situation. You may also wish to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form for general information and advice regarding PR renewal.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 5/20/2022
PMM
PMM
Hi

Jason_1382 wrote:
My wife, myself & my 2 children (Daughter 5 years & Son 3 years) are all Canadian PR's since Sep 2019.
We are Indian Nationals living in Singapore.
We have done our first entry (stayed for just 15 days in Canada).
Our PR cards expire in Oct 2024.
We plan on moving to Canada in April 2023.

Question:

1) Would this affect our PR status since we will not have 730 days of stay in Canada when our cards expire? I read online that we do not need to renew our PR cards if we do not need to leave the country and we can wait until we have the 730 days and then renew the cards. Is this possible?

1. You are leaving it to too late if you intend to return in April 2023 as you will not have met your Residency obligations. You must reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period. To be able to meet your RO you must return to Canada Sept. 2022. If you don't there is a chance that you will be reported on entry for not meeting your RO.

2. If you are reported, you will have 30 days to appeal and if you lose the appeal, you lose your PR status.
link