Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeESL - Language and Literacy

English as a Second Language, LINC, Language Assessment, Translation and Interpretation, Literacy...

Am I eligible for English Language Assessment? 

laetitia.uwineza@gmail.com
[email protected]

Posted On: 4/1/2022
Hi,

My first language is French and I just finished college, the French College Boreal. I live in Brampton, ON. I still have a valid international student visa but applied for permanent resident status as I meet criteria. I would like to master my English before looking for a bilingual job. ESL providers told me that I have first to get a level assessment. Would Language Assessment Centres accept my Immigration status?
link

Posted On: 4/14/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, Where can I get my English level evaluated?

The government funds a number of different language programs which are free for eligible adults learners. To register in one of these English classes, you have to go to a language assessment centre to take a test in order to determine your level. It is free to take the test. You need to make an appointment before you go.

Most government-funded programs use the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) classification to describe your English language level in reading, writing, listening and speaking. Find an language assessment centre near you. You can also do a free online self-assessment of your CLB level in reading and listening. Your test results are for your information only - they are not official results.

You may want to call your ESL class provider to see if they will accept an online self assessment. Regarding eligibility for a formal assessment, you may want to follow the links for the organizations listed under Ontario. They describe what their eligibility criteria looks like for people in the process of applying for permanent residence and with varying status.

I hope this information is helpful, please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link