Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Issue about PR extension after stay outside for 3 

V_rainauk
V_rainauk

Posted On: 5/30/2022
V_rainauk
V_rainauk
Hi I had a similar situation but a little twist. I landed in Canada on 19th September 2019 and came back to India in 20 days. I have a PR Card for me and my family. My PR Card expires on 20th September 2024. Due to covid and my fathers death We could not travel back to Canada. Now I plan to return after being out for almost 3 years. So do I need to inform any agency about my travel back and now much time do I have to extend my PR. I plan to return from India to Canada on 10th September 2022.
link

Posted On: 5/31/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It is best that you seek the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration law for advice regarding your situation. IRCC may take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your extended stay outside Canada if you are not able to meet your residency requirements. However, this is up to IRCC and it would be best for you to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get more details about their specific application and what kind of supporting documents you may require.

Based on the dates between your planned return and your PR card expiration, it sounds like you might still meet your residency obligation to be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years. You may also find helpful information on this matter in the previous discussion forum thread, When does the 5-year period begin?

Still, it is best that you seek the advice a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for information specific to your situation. We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Nathan2086
Nathan2086

Posted On: 7/15/2022
Nathan2086
Nathan2086
The same issue for my wife, can you please suggest an immigration consultant to throw some limelight please.
link