Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeElementary and Secondary School

Adult Education, Elementary and Secondary School...

Enrolling 5.5 year old in school or kindergarten? 

k.tre123
k.tre123

Posted On: 6/16/2022
k.tre123
k.tre123
Hello,

My family and I are moving to Toronto for my husband's fellowship in August 2023 for 1 year. I am not sure if our eldest boy (who will be 5 1/2 y.o. when we arrive) should be going to elementary school or to kindergarten? He would be enrolled in primary school in Australia from Feb-July 2023 just before we come to Toronto. Could someone please confirm for me as I am receiving conflicting reports about starting elementary school at 5 or 6 years old. Our second boy will be 3 1/2 y.o. when we arrive so I presume he needs to go to daycare or kindergarten.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
link

Posted On: 6/20/2022
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Children aged 4-5 years old are typically enrolled in Kindergarten. If your child is turning 6 this year, he may be enrolled in first grade instead since Ontario does not hold children back for having late birthdays. Which means if he is 5 and a 1/2 years old, and born in December he can enter first grade in September at 5 and 1/2 years old and celebrate his 6th birthday that December in first grade with his classmates. Your second child would also be welcome in a Kindergarten classroom the year he turns 4 as well.

You may want to connect with your local school board for information about enrolling your kids in school, and might find the following article helpful: How do I enrol my child in school?

You may also find some great resources in The Newcomer's Guide to Elementary School in Ontario.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link