Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeElementary and Secondary School

Adult Education, Elementary and Secondary School...

Applying for High School in Ontario under CUAET 

VAL_KIR
VAL_KIR

Posted On: 7/10/2022
VAL_KIR
VAL_KIR
Dear Settlement Team,

We wanted to reach out to you to clarify a situation with a relative is yet to come to Canada under CUAET program. My nephew, 18 years old was been forced to flee Ukraine and has been residing in Germany for the last four months. She is 18 years old and currently located in Germany, so we wanted to apply for CUAET for her to come to Kitchener and live with us.

Would she be eligible to attend a public high school as a Canadian resident in Ontario or only as an international student with associated fees?

Thank you in advance
link

Posted On: 7/11/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

Yes, all children have the right to attend school in Ontario, here is an excerpt from Steps to Justice:
All children living in Ontario have the right to attend school. The law says that if a child is under 18 years old, a school can't refuse to admit them because of their immigration status or their parents' status.

You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, How do I enrol my child in school? and Information for Ukraine Nationals Coming to Canada.

We hope this is helpful, please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
Amulek
Amulek

Posted On: 4/21/2023
Amulek
Amulek
VAL_KIR wrote:
Dear Settlement Team,

We wanted to reach out to you to clarify a situation with a relative is yet to come to Canada under CUAET program. My nephew, 18 years old was been forced to flee Ukraine and has been residing in Germany for the last four months. She is 18 years old and currently located in Germany, so we wanted to apply for CUAET for her to come to Kitchener and live with us.

Would she be eligible to attend a public high school as a Canadian resident in Ontario or only as an international student with associated fees?

Thank you in advance

This question is also of interest. I read that adults are given work permits at the airport upon arrival. And for children to learn. But if a child is already 18 years old, is he considered an adult? And will they give him permission to study?
link

Posted On: 4/30/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question with us.

It would be best to contact your local school board directly for information specific to your situation, but the Education Act is the law that governs public schools in Ontario. It says that children aged 6-18 must attend school. At 18 years old, your child will still be entitled to go to public school for their senior year. Generally, students begin high school at 14 years of age and graduate at 18. If your child surpasses the age of majority (18 years old), he could enrol in adult learning to obtain a high school diploma in Ontario instead.

We hope this information is helpful. Please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
Larissa
Larissa

Posted On: 6/20/2023
Larissa
Larissa
Dear Settlement Team,

My nephew who came recently from Ukraine under CUAET program alone, is 16 years old. The Immigration Officer at the airport provided him with Work Permit, not Study Permit. Now my nephew was denied from registering to public school because he doesn't have study permit. It takes time to apply for study permit and it will be late to start summer school. Does he have any opportunity to attend any educational center during summer to upgrade his English language?

Thank you in advance
link

Posted On: 6/30/2023
Hi there,

It would be best to contact your local school board directly for information specific to your situation, but the Education Act is the law that governs public schools in Ontario. It says that children aged 6-18 must attend school. Regardless of immigration status or the immigration status of their parents, any child aged 6-8 is not only entitled, but legally required to go to school in Ontario. Many community agencies can help you with registering your child for school. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

We hope this information is helpful. Please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link

Posted On: 6/30/2023
Hi there,

It would be best to contact your local school board directly for information specific to your situation, but the Education Act is the law that governs public schools in Ontario. It says that children aged 6-18 must attend school. Regardless of immigration status or the immigration status of their parents, any child aged 6-8 is not only entitled, but legally required to go to school in Ontario. Many community agencies can help you with registering your child for school. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link