Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Residency Obligation 

Jeannie Nair12
Jeannie Nair12

Posted On: 7/14/2022
Jeannie Nair12
Jeannie Nair12
I did not meet my residency obligation for about 90days and leave outside Canada longer than 5 years. My son is a Canadian born. My reason for not being able to return back to due to Canada was due to my mother's illness, she is a cancer patient and also Covid pandemic which overall held us back in our hometown. My mistake, we applied for a PRTD doc , which was rejected as they did not accept our H&C reason. We should have just traveled via US and appeal.

As of now we have filed and our hearing did not turned out well . Our Appeal was dismissed by IAD.
Now I need to file my case to Federal Court. I really wish to come back and settle down with my Canadian born son. We did not purposely violate or ignored our obligation to return back but IAD was so strict and not willing to even accept our reason as we sincerely did not mean to stay back but our situation was such.

Anyway can I represent myself and file the case to Federal Court. As the previous lawyer charged us CAD 10,000.Now to file again is he also charging the same amount which we can't afford to pay as we are financially tight. This is our only hope so we would really want to all out to save our PR status. Please advise .

Also if the event our PR is revoke, can we reapply again or can we return to Canada as visitor in future.
link

Posted On: 8/23/2022
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We hope that the community can also share their experiences with you.

It is best that you seek the advice of a lawyer in this situation. You may find helpful information on how to find a reputable and registered lawyer or immigration consultant in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get?. The Steps to Justice "Services in Ontario - Getting legal help in Immigration law" page also has a list of free to low cost services.

I would suggest that you connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search, 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
MuhammadUsman3629
MuhammadUsman3629

Posted On: 11/14/2022
Does you PR card expired when you were out side Canada ?
link