Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

New Permanent Resident and taxes 

Chum
Chum

Posted On: 7/25/2022
Chum
Chum
Our family has been approved under the Quebec Investor immigration and have received the COPR which expires in November 2022.

We plan to land in Montreal in October 2022 and stay there for a month to complete the documents (SIN card, PR etc) and them come back to our tax residency country (Thailand) to wind down. We plan to make the eventual move mid 2023 to settle down in Montreal. The address in Canada to send the PR card will be my sister’s address in Toronto so she can sent it across to me once she gets it.

My question pertains to if we are liable to Canadian tax as a new PR for the year 2022/2023? We do NOT plan to purchase/rent a house till the eventual move next year in 2023 and will just live in an AIRBNB. I would like to open a bank account to facilitate finances in future but it is not necessary if the bank account means we will have a connection to Canada. We would like to delay being a Canadian tax resident till our eventual move in 2023.

I thank you in advance for any guidance that you could provide to this question.
link

Posted On: 8/8/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

In this situation, it is best that you contact the Canada Revenue Agency directly. You can contact them using this phone number: 1-800-387-1193 (Canada and United States) or through their online chat.

You may find helpful information in the following thread, here: Newcomer leaving & returning to Canada-notification? - Questions about Permanent Residency

You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, Do I have to file a tax return?
Here is an excerpt:
Canadian residency for tax purposes is not the same as residency for immigration purposes.
What if I am outside of Canada?
According to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), the most important factor in determining your residency in Canada for tax purposes is whether or not you maintain residential ties with Canada while you are abroad.
If you maintain residential ties in Canada, you may still be considered a Canadian resident for tax purposes. In this case, you have to pay Canadian income tax on your worldwide income.
The guides in this article would support you in determining residency status for tax purposes (which are different from residency for PR status). It may also be helpful to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice regarding your situation and help with your application.
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
Your Settlement.Org Team
link