Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Applying for my husband as a representative 

Applefun123
Applefun123

Posted On: 8/16/2022
Applefun123
Applefun123
My husband and I are permanent residents in Canada. But we are currently in the USA, and our cards will expire soon.

* Can we ask a friend in Canada as a representative and renew our PR cards? Use the form "Use of a Representative Form - IMM 5476"??
* Do we have to stay in Canada after we submitted our application? Can we leave Canada right away while waiting for the process of renewing the cards?
* Can I go back to Canada and renew my PR card, and also renew for my husband's PR card as his representative by filling in the IMM 5476 form?
link

Posted On: 8/25/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

According to IRCC, you must also submit your application for PR renewal from within Canada. You can find more information on the process for PR card renewal on the IRCC website.

We spoke to a representative at IRCC who confirmed that you must be physically present in Canada to submit your application for PR renewal. The card will also need to be mailed to a Canadian address. Without an address in your name, you may instead wish to use a family address to mail your card.

For information or advice specific to your situation, you may also want to submit a case-specific inquiry using IRCC’s web form.

It may be best to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration issues and family law for advice regarding your situation. To find a community legal clinic in your area, visit Services Near Me.

For further reading, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?, Should I get help with my immigration application from an immigration consultant or lawyer? and Frequently Asked Questions about the Permanent Resident Card.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link