Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Citizenship certificate application documentation 

Aliah
Aliah

Posted On: 8/18/2022
Aliah
Aliah
I am a US-born child of a Canadian citizen (mum was born in Canada). I have completed my application for citizenship certificate and I am ready to submit it. But I am stuck on this ONE item in the document checklist:

"proof of other nationalities acquired by you and your Canadian parent before February 15, 1977, if applicable to you"

Both my mother and I also hold Israeli citizenship. This was granted before 1977. I am looking for suggestions on what can be considered "proof." There is no explanation provided anywhere on what is considered proof of another nationality. I have a *very* old passport. My mother can probably dig up an old Israeli passport as well. Does this qualify? We have no current documentation from Israel.

Also, is there any scenario in which I could just submit an explanatory letter about our Israeli citizenship, and not be required to submit additional documentation?

Help!
link

Posted On: 8/25/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It is best that you contact the IRCC Client Support Centre directly for information regarding the validity and relevance of your documents to this application, you may also want to contact them via webform if you prefer to communicate online. You may also wish to seek the advice of a lawyer in this situation. You may find helpful information on how to find a reputable and registered lawyer or immigration consultant in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get?. The Steps to Justice "Services in Ontario - Getting legal help in Immigration law" page also has a list of free to low cost services.

I would suggest that you connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search, 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful, please follow up with us if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link