Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Will I get OHIP with CUAET visa? 

Galina
Galina

Posted On: 9/5/2022
Galina
Galina
While we were waiting for permission for a CUAET visa, I became pregnant. We are planning to move to Ontario while I am in my second trimester of pregnancy.

Question 1: Will I get OHIP under the CUAET visa and will it cover my birth in Ontario.

Question 2: In this case, will my newborn child receive OHIP after birth?
link

Posted On: 9/19/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question.

I spoke with an operator at Service Ontario, and you should be able to apply for OHIP with this status document. Under the remark and observations section or the conditions section of your status document, there will be a CUAET code they can use to grant coverage to folks who come to Canada through the CUAET pathway. I hope this information is helpful, if you have case-specific questions feel free to contact the Service Ontario INFOline directly at 1-800-664-8988.

According to the Association of Ontario Midwives, an infant born in Ontario will be eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) if they are born in Ontario, to at least one parent/custodian who is a resident of Ontario and who will be staying in the province for 153 days in the following year.

If you reside in Ontario, you may find helpful information in the Settlement.org article, How do I register my child for OHIP?. This article will provide information on how to register your child for OHIP if your child was born in a hospital, a midwife's care, or elsewhere in Ontario. You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article What documents do I need to apply for my child's Health Card (OHIP)?

There is also more information about prenatal care options in Ontario in this article, I am pregnant and don't have OHIP. What health care can I get?.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link