Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Apartment building maintenance 

CLLW
CLLW

Posted On: 9/28/2022
CLLW
CLLW
My senior mother has received notice from the owner of her building that they will be replacing the elevator which will take 8-12 weeks.
She lives in a 6 story build with only one elevator. The majority of the residence are seniors and they are being asked to reschedule activities such as Dr appointments, vacation plans and other regular activities during the elevator construction time, unless they are able to use the stairs, which of course many are not including my mother. She is a socially active lady and is now being asked to cancel all social interaction outside of her home?
I am very concerned for the well being of my mother's physical and mental health as well as many of the other residents who may not have family support for things like groceries, physio therapy, prescriptions, retrieving mail, paying bills (not all bank online) and medical needs.
I appreciate that for safety reasons this type of maintenance needs to be done however I feel that this is not a reasonable timeline. And feel that there has to be another solution.
Am I being unreasonable? What recourse do we have? Who can I reach out to for further options or answers to my questions?
link

Posted On: 9/29/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It is best that you contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. As a tenant, you have the right to a safe home in good repair. You can find the nearest one by using this tool here. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of programs and services in housing law that may be helpful.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link