Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Waiting on Acknowledgement 

ForumUser
ForumUser

Posted On: 10/24/2022
ForumUser
ForumUser
I made a refugee claim and have been waiting a while for an acknowledgement from IRCC, what do I do in the meantime? I got my medical letter but I'm scared it will expire please help advise.
link

Posted On: 11/7/2022
Hello,

Thank you for your question, we appreciate your interest in this information.

If you made your refugee claim through the Canadian Refugee Protection Portal online, you should have received an initial acknowledgement of claim letter with instructions to complete a medical exam. Assuming the medical letter you are referring to is a certificate from an IRCC approved doctor (called a Panel Physician) describing the results of your medical exam, it will be valid for 12 months. The 12 month validity period starts from the date of the latest medical assessment in your application file.

If you are coming close to the end of the 12 month period and still have not attended a scheduled IRCC interview or hearing, you should first check up on the status of your application using the Client Application Status (CAS) tool. You will have received an application number/confirmation number in the initial acknowledgement of claim letter from the IRCC that will help you access your account. Your online account is the best place to receive updates about your refugee claim, and it is a good idea to check it regularly to make sure you know about any upcoming important dates.

It is possible that your claim’s status might not show up through the CAS tool. This is because your claim’s status only appears when the IRCC starts processing your application. There is often a delay between the date your claim is received and the date it is opened and processed. You can find an estimate of the processing time for your application by filling out this form.

It is very likely that your application is currently being processed, even if you haven’t heard from the IRCC recently or can’t see your status online yet. Your application’s processing time may be affected by delays caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as the large quantity of refugee claims received by the IRCC or the technical issues they have had with the new CR portal.

Try your best to remain calm during this waiting period, and check your IRCC account and email inbox regularly for updates or communications from the IRCC. If you feel extremely concerned about your claim’s status, or the 12 month period is about to end, you could fill out a client-specific enquiry through the IRCC online webform. As a last resort you could also try calling an IRCC client support centre agent at 1-888-242-2100, available between 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday, to ask specific questions about your refugee claim.

We hope that the information we provided was helpful to you. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:
This document does not contain legal advice. This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC University of Toronto law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link
KuFf
KuFf

Posted On: 12/14/2022
KuFf
KuFf
I made a refugee claim and I submitted the documents two months ago. I have also done the medical examination three weeks ago. Some friends told me that it takes three weeks to receive the Acknowledgement letter of claim. Unfortunately, I have not received the Acknowledgement letter of claim after two months.

1) Is this delay usual or not?

2) What could be the reason?

3) What should I do?
link

Posted On: 1/31/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

For updates related to your specific case file, it is best that you contact IRCC using their web form. It may also be useful to note that processing time does not include the wait time before they receive the application, and starts once they receive a completed application. You may also wish to contact your local visa office or look at other options for contacting IRCC at the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Client Support Centre. You may also find helpful information by checking estimates for processing times using this calculator on the IRCC website.

We hope this information is helpful. Please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
AHADI Etienne
AHADI Etienne

Posted On: 10/5/2023
AHADI Etienne
AHADI Etienne
I made a refugee claim and have been waiting a while for an acknowledgement letter. How long it takes to receive acknowledgement letter?
What can I do in this time? please advise me. Thank you
link

Posted On: 10/31/2023
Hi there,

It is best that you contact IRCC directly using their web form for an update regarding your acknowledgement letter, they would be better equipped to let you know how far along in the process you are and give you an accurate wait time for this letter. As stated above, itt may also be useful to note that processing time does not include the wait time before they receive the application, and starts once they receive a completed application. You may also wish to contact your local visa office or look at other options for contacting IRCC at the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Client Support Centre. You may also find helpful information by checking estimates for processing times using this calculator on the IRCC website.

We hope this information is helpful. Please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link

Posted On: 10/31/2023
Hi there,

It is best that you contact IRCC directly using their web form for an update regarding your acknowledgement letter, they would be better equipped to let you know how far along in the process you are and give you an accurate wait time for this letter. As stated above, itt may also be useful to note that processing time does not include the wait time before they receive the application, and starts once they receive a completed application. You may also wish to contact your local visa office or look at other options for contacting IRCC at the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Client Support Centre. You may also find helpful information by checking estimates for processing times using this calculator on the IRCC website.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link