Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR Card replacement due to legal name change 

archana1992
archana1992

Posted On: 12/19/2022
archana1992
archana1992
Hi,

I have got permanent residency in 2021 and I have changed my legal name after marriage this year. My passport has been updated with new name and also, submitted application for change of name on PR card. However, it's been so long I have not received the card and I need to travel to India.

can I return on PR card with old name and new passport?

I do have USA visitor visa which has new name.

Thanks,
link

Posted On: 12/30/2022
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information. Whether or not you will be granted entry will be up to the CBSA officer. “There are a number of reasons you can be found inadmissible, denied a visa or refused entry to Canada.” You may also wish to contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Call Centre directly to see if they have any information they can provide you. You may wish to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form for advice specific to this situation.

If you are outside of Canada or plan to leave Canada, you may want to read more about travelling without a PR card in this Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

Here is an excerpt:
The only official documents that permanent residents of Canada can use to travel back to Canada on a commercial carrier (by air, land or sea) are the PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), also known as a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) issued by a Canadian visa office abroad.

If you are entering Canada in a private vehicle, such as your own car, and you do not present your PR card, you may be able to show other immigration documents.

You may also want to contact a Lawyer or a reputable, registered Immigration Consultant for some advice and assistance with this process.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here. We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link