Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Live-In PSW & Tenant Rights 

PPSW
PPSW

Posted On: 1/6/2023
PPSW
PPSW
Hello, I am a disabled person receiving ODSP in Ontario at the residence I rent and work at for eight years, the landlady (80 years old) and I agreed to payment for odd jobs daily for that whole time, recently she had an operation on her arm and needed help doing daily activities like cooking and many many more requirements so we upgraded our agreements with food included, we get along very well

but just last month she wound up in the hospital and her daughter who is acting power of attorney has been coming to the house physically assaulting me during a 911 call causing injury the police left her drive away then she keeps coming back like nothing happened and was going after a guest of myself and my landlady so again 911 this time they sent the guns and gangs unit because this daughter has just come from court for uttering threats I heard 'with a gun' and possibly other matters from before I ever moved here and they told her she cannot continue to come here and enter whenever she wants ?
My question is where do I turn to find out my legal rights to renting here, I heard a *live in* employee has additional time to prepare to move, six months I believe should these matters not be resolved and the daughter is allowed to continue to harass and assault me ?
link

Posted On: 1/27/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It is best that you contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. As a tenant, you have the right to a safe home in good repair. You can find the nearest one by using this tool here. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of programs and services in housing law that may be helpful. As a live-in caregiver, you have legal rights to fair working conditions and fair treatment under labour laws in most provinces and territories. Nothing in your contract or working conditions can violate these rights, you may find more helpful information about this in the IRCC article, What rights do I have as a live-in caregiver under labour or employment laws?

We hope this information is helpful, and please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
W. Bill Hickock
W. Bill Hickock

Posted On: 2/12/2023
W. Bill Hickock
W. Bill Hickock
No one has the right to harass you or to threaten you.
Please seek legal counsel.
S.
link