Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeUniversity and College Education

Colleges, Universities and Institutes, Evaluating Educational Credentials...

High school students need credential evaluation? 

ironoak
ironoak

Posted On: 1/7/2023
ironoak
ironoak
Hello, I am a Canadian citizen, but I am finishing my high school education in another country. I'd like to ask some questions about enrolling or applying into a Canadian college. ( In Ontario )

1) My high school ends in mid-june, and the WES evaluation takes about a month to process, then give or take a couple weeks for figuring things out, and it is around August. Is this too late to enroll into colleges?

2) If I have enough time, then I will submit the application to ontariocolleges. If my grades arent up to the requirements, is there any way to improve them to meet them?

And in general, how do I improve my chances of enrolling into a college?

I think am not eligible to take the GED test in Ontario because I am 17 years of age. Will International GED tests be recognized as a document to colleges?

There might be a chance that I am asking the wrong questions due to lack of knowledge, if you know more about this, please tell me.

Thank you!
link

Posted On: 1/31/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us!

OntarioColleges.ca will accept credential assessment reports from ICAS, WES, or CES, however some colleges have preferences with regard to which services they accept reports from. If you would like to confirm this information for your specific programs, please contact the colleges that you are applying to about their credential evaluation requirements. You may also find helpful information about this process in Settlement.Org articles about credential evaluation.

Colleges typically assess your grades from the most recent (in this case, fall) semester, and may take your mid-term results into account depending on the time of year. You can apply to colleges while still completing your diploma if this is your last year of high school, you do not have to wait until the school year ends. The deadline is fast approaching, but late applications will be accepted for some programs. Whether or not an international GED is accepted may also vary by program. You may want to e-mail the program department to confirm this.

Feel free to browse the Programs page on the Ontario Colleges website and follow the website links of the programs you are interested in for information about their eligibility requirements. This will give you the information you need about what each program is looking for in a prospective student. If your grades fall below their admission requirement, you can always re-take/upgrade those courses and apply again next year. Colleges will always take the most recent grade for that course in assessing your application.

We hope this information is helpful. Please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

We wish you the best of luck in this application!

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link