Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Nonstandard lease as a proof of residency for OHIP 

Posts: 2

Posted On: 1/23/2023
Posts: 2
I signed a non-standard lease agreement for a mid-term rental (a furnished room, 3-month contract). Can I use this document as a proof of residency when applying for OHIP?
Posts: 4003

Posted On: 1/31/2023
Posts: 4003

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You have quite a few options to prove residency for this application and can find some detailed information in our Settlement.Org What documents do I need to apply for a Health Card (OHIP)? article.

Here is an excerpt:
Proof of Residency

A document that has your name and current home address. This document confirms that your principal home is in Ontario.
  • Child Tax Benefit Statement
  • Employer record (pay stub or letter from employer on company letterhead)
  • Income tax assessment (most recent)
  • Insurance policy (home, tenant, auto or life)
  • Monthly mailed bank account statements for savings or chequing accounts (does not include receipts, bank books, letters or automated teller receipts)
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
  • Ontario Motor Vehicle Permit (plate or vehicle portions)
  • Property tax bill
  • School, college or university report card or transcript
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works
  • Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program
  • Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E
  • Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS) or Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P)
  • Statement of Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP), Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF), or Registered Home Ownership Savings Plan (RHOSP) from a financial institution (bank, trust company, credit union)
  • Utility bill received by mail (home telephone, cable TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas, water)
  • Valid Ontario Driver's Licence
  • Temporary Driver's Licence (you must also show a photo license card with the same address)
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contribution
  • Valid Ontario Photo Card

For official information about OHIP eligibility and what type of documents are acceptable, please contact Service Ontario:
  • In Canada: 1-800-268-1154
  • TTY: 1-800-387-5559

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.


Your Settlement.Org Team