Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

After receiving PRTD ( RC-1) 

njhajj
njhajj

Posted On: 2/13/2023
njhajj
njhajj
Hello

My Father got his Permanent Residency Travel Document in RC-1 category. It is Multiple Entry and valid for 1 year.

I have few Questions

1. Can he apply for his PR card renewal as soon he arrives in Canada.

2. Is it going to be mandatory for him to stay in Canada for first 2 years from the day he receives his PR card, OR he is fine to travel in and out of Canada as long he maintains his stay of 730 days with in 5 years from the day he receives his PR .

3. Will the PRTD still remain valid for 1 year even after he receives his PR. And if valid can he use the PRTD to Travel as long it is valid .

Thanks
Navdeep

link

Posted On: 2/16/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We appreciate your interest in this type of information.

According to one of our legal experts:

1) No - it is strongly advised that he should wait until he has accumulated 730 days of physical presence in Canada. If the father submits a PR Card application, an officer will review it and could render a different decision (i.e. determine that the father is not a PR of Canada).

2) Once he arrives in Canada, he should stay here for 730 days and then can submit a request for a PR Card at that time. A PR of Canada MUST demonstrate that they have accumulated 730 days of physical presence in Canada in the past 5 years, on each and every entry to Canada/examination (unless they fall within one of the exemptions).

3) The PRTD is usually valid for a single entry to Canada.

It is best that you seek the advice of a lawyer for case-specific advice and information. You may find helpful information on how to find a reputable and registered lawyer or immigration consultant in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get?. The Steps to Justice "Services in Ontario - Getting legal help in Immigration law" page also has a list of free to low cost services.

I would also suggest that you connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search, 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team

link
njhajj
njhajj

Posted On: 2/16/2023
njhajj
njhajj
Thankyou so much for taking time to answer my queries

As mentioned in your response. that before applying for the PR card renewal my father should wait until he has accumulated 730 days of physical presence in Canada

I have one more query.

Will the SIN number and HEALTH CARD he already has still remain valid from the day he arrives ?

Thanks in advance

link

Posted On: 2/24/2023
Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation. His SIN will remain the same, if you have lost your SIN, or if it was stolen, Service Canada will not issue a new one. Service Canada may issue a new SIN only if there is proof that the SIN was used fraudulently. You can find information on what to do if his SIN is lost or stolen in this Settlement.Org article.

If his health card is still valid and he meets the eligibility criteria for OHIP, he may still use his health card. If not, he may have to apply for a health card. The 3-month waiting period for coverage has been waived, and if he is eligible for OHIP, he will not have to wait for coverage. I hope this information is helpful. Feel free to contact Service Canada (for SIN information) or Service Ontario (for Health Card information) for case-specific information.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link