Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeThe Landing Experience

Questions about how to prepare for your first arrival in Canada - customs, proof of funds, initial settlement help, etc... Tell us what happened when you first landed in Canada.

Landing in Canada 

vant23
vant23

Posted On: 3/3/2023
vant23
vant23
Hello,

I got accepted via the Federal Skilled Worker Stream and my city of destination is Ottawa but I can't find direct flights to Ottawa from where I'm coming and the flights have a layover in Montreal.
Does that mean that my COPR will be processed by the immigation officer in Montreal or Ottawa? And could that cause a problem?

Thank you in advance!
link

Posted On: 3/9/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You can land anywhere in Canada once you have your Certificate of Permanent Residence (CoPR) with some exception (e.g. as a provincial nominee) listed in this article.

Here is an excerpt about port of entry:
Typically, if you choose to enter the country via a city outside of the province you were selected to work, it is up to the customs officer whether you will be allowed to declare your permanent residence at that port of entry.
If you enter through a port of entry that isn’t listed on your CoPR document, you may experience unnecessary complications. Therefore, you may want to land in the city that is listed on your CoPR document.

When you come to Canada, as a permanent resident for the first time, you must show your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) to an immigration officer at the port of entry. Without a connecting flight, your port of entry would be Montreal. Montreal is not far from Ottawa, so you may be interested in purchasing a bus or train ticket to Ottawa from Montreal. If a customs officer at the airport has questions about your intentions to live in Ottawa, you may want to bring documentation that supports that you have plans to reside there. Documentation about your transit plans, where you intend to live, where you have been applying for jobs, etc. may help you in making this clear.

We hope that this information is helpful and we recommend that you seek legal help from a lawyer or a licensed consultant familiar with Canadian immigration for advice on the matter.

I hope this information is helpful, please follow up if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link