Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Spousal PR Sponsorship OHIP Eligibility 

sujavel
sujavel

Posted On: 3/9/2023
sujavel
sujavel
Hi There,

I have recently been sponsored for permanent residence under spousal sponsorship from my husband and we submitted the application on Feb 15th 2023. We have the receipt for PR application fee payment and application submitted confirmation email. Am I eligible for OHIP as I got pregnant recently and worried about my coverage options.

I appreciate your help in this regard.
link
starlink3792
starlink3792

Posted On: 3/18/2023
starlink3792
starlink3792
Hi sujavel,

Please note that I am not a member of OCASI, and my opinions are based on my personal research. It is important that you conduct your own research before making any decisions. In response to your question, currently, you are not covered under OHIP. However, if a decision is made on your sponsorship application, you may become eligible for OHIP. If you are covered under your husband's health insurance from his workplace, you may receive some coverage, so it would be wise to check with the insurance company. There are some insurance companies that cover delivery costs up to $10,000, but they typically require a condition that you should not be pregnant for two months after obtaining the insurance. If you have a valid work permit in Canada, you can be added as a dependant to your husband's OHIP or secure a job that requires a minimum of six months of work, you may be eligible for OHIP. If you are in Canada on a visitor status, you could attempt to obtain a work permit through LMIA and apply for OHIP. If none of these options work, the cost of delivery in Canada without any coverage can range from $2,500 to $35,000. Alternatively, you could consider returning to your home country to deliver the baby and adding your child to your PR application before returning to Canada with the baby.
I am also exploring more, if I find any information on this, I will update here.
link

Posted On: 3/22/2023
Hi there,

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your questions with us.

With regards to OHIP coverage, we called the ServiceOntario INFOline at 1(866)532-3161, and the operator let us know that during the application process for PR, IRCC will send a letter that states it has been determined you have met the eligibility requirements for Permanent Residence. Once you have this confirmation letter, this can be shared with ServiceOntario as proof of approval-in-principle. It may be a good idea to also call the InfoLine to confirm this information, and share case-specific details to determine your eligibility for OHIP. You may also find helpful information in our Reproductive Health and Low-Cost Healthcare article sections.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any follow-up questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link