Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Query regarding PR Card dispatch 

Posts: 8

Posted On: 4/7/2023
I am applying for PR Card renewal and have a question regarding PR Card dispatch. I do not have a permanent address in Canada so I want to get my renewed PR Card dispatched in UPS mailbox but the instruction for PR Card renewal says that "Your PR Card will be sent to your residential address (the address where you live). PR Cards will only be mailed to post office (PO) boxes if this is your residential mailing address. It is important to note that PR Cards will not be mailed to third party addresses (e.g. representative, family member)."

So kindly let me know if it is possible to get my renewed PR Card dispatched in UPS mailbox?
Manish Khanna
Posts: 4049

Posted On: 4/14/2023
Posts: 4049
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

We spoke to a representative at IRCC who confirmed that you must be physically present in Canada to submit your application for PR renewal. The card will need to be mailed to a Canadian address; this can also be a family address but it must be a residential address.

Are you eligible?
To be eligible for a PR Card, you must:
  • be a permanent resident of Canada;
  • be physically present in Canada;
  • meet the residency requirement (see Appendix A – Residency obligation);
  • not be under an effective removal order;
  • not be a Canadian citizen; and
  • not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR Card
Permanent Residents outside of Canada
If you are outside Canada and do not have a valid PR Card to return, you must get a Permanent Resident Travel Document from a Visa Application Centre or a Canadian visa office.
It may be best to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice regarding your situation. To find a community legal clinic in your area, visit Services Near Me.

For further reading, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?, Should I get help with my immigration application from an immigration consultant or lawyer? and Frequently Asked Questions about the Permanent Resident Card.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.


Your Settlement.Org Team