Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Can I lose my permanent residency in this case? 

newcaandian
newcaandian

Posted On: 4/7/2023
newcaandian
newcaandian
Hello everyone,

I've been living in Canada with my family for the past 3 years firstly as a refugee claimant and then as an accepted protected people.

After being accepted as protected people, we applied for permanenet residency and according to our lawyer we should obtain it in the next few months, if no problem is detected.

Like all refugees in Canada our passports were taken when we asked for refugee protection.

I have now some enquiries:

- is it true that once the permanenet residency is obtained the passports are usually given back? If so, does it mean that you are not a protected person anymore but just a permanenet resident?
- if after receiving my permanent residency (and still considered a refugee), I renounce to my protected person status what will happen? Can my permanent residency be revoked because of that?

I'll wait to hear from you.
Thank you!
link

Posted On: 4/30/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It is best that you contact IRCC directly for this information. The IRCC Client Support Centre can procide information specific to your application, you can reach them by phone (1-888-242-2100) or use their web form. If you require any further assistance, it may also be helpful to seek the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer about your situation. To find a community legal clinic in your area, visit Services Near Me.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link