Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeFinding a Doctor or other health care professional

Finding a doctor or dentist or other health care professional...

How to find a general physician-family doctor 

abeethaa
abeethaa

Posted On: 5/3/2023
abeethaa
abeethaa
Hello, I have ohip card. How can I find a family doctor? What is the process? Should I walk-in to the nearest clinic accepting patients and enquire?
link

Posted On: 5/11/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

If you are searching for a new family doctor, you may also find helpful information on the Government of Ontario's website on finding a referral for a doctor near you, here is an excerpt:

Find a family doctor or nurse practitioner
A family doctor or nurse practitioner is your primary health care provider – meaning they are the person you make an appointment with when you have a new, non-emergency health concern. You can learn more about their services below.
Visits to a doctor or nurse practitioner are publicly funded – meaning you don’t have to pay.
Here are two options to find a family doctor or nurse practitioner who is accepting new patients:
  • Register with our Health Care Connect service and have a nurse find a doctor or nurse practitioner for you.
  • Use The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario’s Find a Doctor search.
  • choose “Advanced Search” to find a doctor near you (by city/town or postal code)
  • click on “Additional Search Options” to narrow your search (to family doctors and/or language spoken)
  • contact the doctor to check if they are accepting new patients

• If you find that the wait for a family physician is too long, you may want to visit a walk-in clinic for a referral from a family physician there. You can also call the Toronto Public Health Unit at 416-338-7600 for information or support in accessing care. As well as, Telehealth Ontario, which is a free, confidential service you can call to get health advice or information. A Registered Nurse will take your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Assistance is available in more than 300 languages. When you call Telehealth, tell them what language you speak and you will be connected to an interpreter.

• Toll-free: 1-866-797-0000
    • Toll-free TTY: 1-866-797-0007

You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, How can I find a family doctor? and How do I choose a family doctor?
    We hope this is helpful, please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
    link
    alexcray
    alexcray

Posted On: 3/4/2024
    alexcray
    alexcray
    abeethaa wrote:
    Hello, I have ohip card. How can I find a family doctor? What is the process? Should I walk-in to the nearest clinic accepting patients and enquire?

Finding the right family doctor is key to your health care journey. Start by checking your insurance for in-network doctors near you. Online resources like your insurer's directory or review sites can help narrow down options. Ask friends and family for recommendations too. Research shortlisted doctors' qualifications and reviews to pick a few that fit your needs. You can even schedule consultations to find the perfect match for you!
    link