Lost password

HomeDaily Life

Communications, Consumer Protection, Personal Finance, Shopping, Transportation, Weddings and Funerals...

Divorce Out side of Canada 

Posts: 1

Posted On: 5/3/2023
I got married 10 years ago in my home country, then we move to Canada 3 years ago, one year ago I got divorced outside of Canada in our home country, while we live in Canada. and I have a divorce certificate form there, we lived 7 years together there do we need to get divorced again in On? or Our divorced certificate is valid here?

Posts: 3936

Posted On: 8 days ago
Posts: 3936

Thank you for sharing your situation and questions with us.

In terms of divorce outside Canada, you may find some helpful information in our Settlement.Org Will my foreign divorce be recognized in Canada?. Here is an excerpt:

"If you were divorced outside Canada, you need to prove that your divorce was legal in that country before you can get re-married in Canada."

You can also find some helpful information in this Marriage and Divorce publication from Family Law Education for Women website.

Here is an excerpt,

"Are divorces from other countries legal in Canada?

If your divorce is from another country, it may affect your family law rights to spousal support and division of family property in Canada. If you have concerns about a divorce that was granted in another country, it is a good idea to talk to a family law lawyer here.

If your divorce is from another country, and you want to marry someone else in Canada, you will have to show proof of your divorce so that you are able to get married here.

To do this, you must have an official copy of the Divorce Order. You will need a letter from a lawyer in Canada in the province or territory where you want to get married, that says that your divorce should be recognized under Canadian law.

If the Divorce Order is not in English or French, you will also need to get it translated into English or French by an approved translator. The lawyer can also help you with this."

You may also want to contact the nearest Family Law Information Centre to see if they can provide you with some information on how to proceed.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.


Your Settlement.Org team