Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR card rejected. Should I appeal? 

Thomas1
Thomas1

Posted On: 5/5/2023
Thomas1
Thomas1
I had applied for PR renewal without meeting the residency requirements, explaining to give me PR renewal on a compassionate basis and the immigration office in Canada provided an appointment to pick up the PR card. I have only stayed 5 months in Canada instead of 2 years . However, since I am outside Canada, when I applied for a PRTD travel document to come to Canada, the local office who processes the PRTD rejected my PRTD application stating that I do not meet the residency requirements and will not be granted PR renewal. They said they also evaluated my application under compassionate basis and said I dont meet the reasons for compassionate as well. I have 60 days to appeal the decision which also a cumbersome process of getting minister approval etc., My question, usually if we go for appeal in such cases, is there any hope at all? Has anyone in this forum done it successfully. If there is no point, then I might as well renounce my PR and apply for super visa.
link

Posted On: 5/31/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It may be best for you to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice regarding your situation. You may find helpful information on how to find a reputable and registered lawyer or immigration consultant in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get?.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this referral is helpful. Please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link