Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

New Adult Passport Application Question 

Posts: 7

Posted On: 6/22/2023
Posts: 7

For new Adult Passport Application you are required to produce 2 references. I managed to find one friend (Canadian Citizen) but for my second reference, can sister-in-laws husband (he is PR) be listed as reference?

Posts: 4000

Posted On: 6/28/2023
Posts: 4000
Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

According to IRCC, the following criteria is what you should follow when choosing a reference for your application:
You need 2 references for a passport or other travel document application.
Your references must
  • be 18 years of age or older
  • have known you for at least
    • 2 years for passport applications
    • 6 months for certificate of identity and refugee travel document applications
  • agree to you using their name and contact information for your application
To avoid delays, make sure your references are available if or when we need to contact them.
  • For example, they’re not travelling outside the country.
  • If they’re in a different time zone, it may take longer to contact them, which could delay your application.

We may ask for additional references at any time.

Your references cannot be
  • your guarantor
  • a family member, such as a
    • spouse or common-law partner
      • Whether you’re the opposite or same sex, you’re considered common-law partners if you’ve lived together in a marriage-like relationship for at least 1 year, but you aren’t legally married.
        • A boyfriend or girlfriend can be a reference if you’re not in a common-law relationship.
        • If your marriage or common-law relationship has ended, your former spouse or partner can serve as a reference.
    • parent, step-parent, foster parent, or a parent’s spouse or common-law partner
    • mother-in-law or father-in-law
    • child (biological, adopted, foster, or stepchild), or your child’s spouse or common-law partner
    • son-in-law or daughter-in-law
    • sibling (brother, half-brother or stepbrother, or sister, half-sister or stepsister), or your sibling’s spouse or common-law partner
    • brother-in-law or sister-in-law
    • grandparent (biological, adopted, step or foster grandparent), or your grandparent’s spouse or common-law partner
    • grandmother-in-law or grandfather-in-law
    • grandchild (biological, adopted, step or foster grandchild), or your grandchild’s spouse or common-law partner
    • grandson-in-law or granddaughter-in-law
    • anyone else who’s related to you or your spouse or common-law partner by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, adoption or guardianship and lives at the same address as you
      • For example, if your aunt, uncle or cousin lives with you, they cannot be a reference.

You may also wish to contact IRCC directly for information regarding this matter. The IRCC Client Support Centre can provide information specific to your application, you can reach them by phone (1-888-242-2100) or use their web form

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.


Your Settlement.Org team