Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

OHIP 

S.Saada
S.Saada

Posted On: 6/25/2023
S.Saada
S.Saada
I have moved to Canada after receiving approval to my PR. My husband is a resident and has OHIP, when will be eligible to apply for my OHIP, and what to do in case I needed medical care?

Another question, my son is a citizen, but has only moved here few weeks ago, is he eligible for OHIP? when can he apply for it?
link

Posted On: 6/28/2023
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

According to Service Ontario:
There is no longer a waiting period for OHIP coverage. If you are eligible, you will have immediate health insurance coverage.

You may also find information in the Settlement.Org article, What documents do I need to apply for a Health Card (OHIP)? and Who is eligible for OHIP?

Here is an excerpt on the eligibility criteria for immigration status:
Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents
  • You are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (including recently adopted children).
  • You are a "protected person," also called a convention refugee.
  • You are registered as an Indian under the Indian Act. (This is for aboriginal people of Canada.)
  • You applied for permanent residence and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada. This means that you have "approval-in-principle."

Feel free to also contact Service Ontario’s INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 for more information.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Passang
Passang

Posted On: 7/3/2023
Passang
Passang
Does OHIP cover Medicine.
link
Passang
Passang

Passang
Passang
May wife has to get a TV test, is TV test covered by OHIP
link
Passang
Passang

Passang
Passang
Is there any government insurance policies that cover medicine.
link

Posted On: 7/27/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It would be best for you to contact the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care for some information about your coverage and further advice specific to your situation.

You can find some contact information here:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/common/

Call ServiceOntario, INFOline at:
1-866-532-3161 (Toll-free)
In Toronto, (416) 314-5518
TTY 1-800-387-5559.
In Toronto, TTY 416-327-4282
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm

You may also wish to call TeleHealth Ontario for specific information and advice tailored to your situation. Telehealth Ontario is a free, confidential service you can call to get health advice or information. A Registered Nurse will take your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Assistance is available in more than 300 languages. When you call Telehealth, tell them what language you speak and you will be connected to an interpreter.
  • Toll-free: 1-866-797-0000
  • Toll-free TTY: 1-866-797-0007

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
amanpalsingh
amanpalsingh

Posted On: 7/30/2023
amanpalsingh
amanpalsingh
Hello,

My daughter has recently graduated from UW and with that her University sponsored Medical coverage has ended. She has received her PGWP approval online but still awaiting the hardcopy of the same. She has started to work as an intern in May, but the employer does not provide any health insurance benefits, so my question is - can she buy health insurance on her own. Most providers such as SunLLife and ManuLife dont offer personal Health Insurance to people who are not covered under OHIP. I would truly appreciate any/all guidance on this subject.

Regards
Aman
link

Posted On: 9/13/2023
Hi Aman,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

We have a few articles on financial assistance, low-cost healthcare options, and private health insurance options for newcomers but the eligibility requirements will vary between programs. We suggest that your daughter reaches out to a local settlement agency near her for assistance on finding programs she is eligible for. A number of settlement services are providing intake appointments online and over the phone in this time of need. You may want to connect with a settlement agency using our Services Near Me section.

It may help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link