Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeFinding a Job / Working

Finding a Job, Job Listings, Labour Market Information (LMI), Starting a Business, Social Insurance Number, Volunteering...

Remote work & work permit 

Hayhayley
Hayhayley

Posted On: 9/7/2023
Hayhayley
Hayhayley
Hi there,
I am an international post-graduate student in Toronto.
During my study here (roughly 1.5 years), I would like to work remotely for my employer in home country.

I find the following information from your website:
"According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR), you can work here remotely as a visitor without a work permit for extended periods provided that: - You work for a non-Canadian company that offers business services outside of Canada. - The employer pays you outside of Canada. - The non-Canadian company has no Canadian operations, branches, or services offered here."
I can confirm my job fulfills all three criteria mentined above.

But will my international student status make me ineligible to work remotely for my home country employer?
Also, how long may that "extended periods" be?
Would appreciate your advice. Thank you
link

Posted On: 9/15/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It may be best for you to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice specific to your situation. You may find helpful information on how to find a reputable and registered lawyer or immigration consultant in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get?.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this referral is helpful. Please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link

Posted On: 1/26/2024
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Here is an excerpt from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website:

“ You can work remotely for an employer outside Canada as long as you still meet the conditions of your study permit. This type of work doesn’t count towards your 20 hours per week off-campus work limit.”

In addition to the three points you mention, you can work remotely from Canada, so long as there are no Canadian clients.

“Extended periods” would be the amount of time an IRCC/CBSA officer permits you to work remotely from Canada, while you maintain your legal temporary status in Canada.

Please also note that any work you complete remotely while you are on a Study Permit in Canada cannot be counted towards any Permanent Resident application for Canada.

Further, it is worth noting that the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website places these responsibilities on a study permit holder in order to maintain their eligibility:

“As a study permit holder, you must:

• be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI), unless you’re exempt
  • show you’re actively pursuing your studies, unless you’re exempt, by
- being enrolled full-time or part-time during each academic semester (excluding regularly scheduled breaks)
- making progress towards completing your program’s courses, and
- not taking authorized leaves longer than 150 days from your study program
  • tell us any time you change post-secondary schools
  • end your studies if you no longer meet the requirements of being a student, and
  • leave Canada when your permit expires

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

This document does not contain legal advice.
This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC Universtiy of Toronto law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link
alexcray
alexcray

Posted On: 26 days ago
alexcray
alexcray
Hayhayley wrote:
Hi there,
During my study here (roughly 1.5 years), I would like to work remotely for my employer in home country.

"According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR), you can work here remotely as a visitor without a work permit for extended periods provided that: - You work for a non-Canadian company that offers business services outside of Canada. - The employer pays you outside of Canada. - The non-Canadian company has no Canadian operations, branches, or services offered here."

But will my international student status make me ineligible to work remotely for my home country employer?

Hi there,

link