Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Travelling with PR Card expiring in 3 months 

slicyyy
slicyyy

Posted On: 9/19/2023
slicyyy
slicyyy
I just found out that my PR Card is expiring in 3 months December 14 of this year. I am travelling to Cuba next month October 14-21 of this year. Can I still use my pr card for travelling and re-entering to Canada next month?
link

Posted On: 9/21/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You can use a valid PR card before its expiry as a travel document, but if you find yourself in a position where you need to travel after your PR card has expired, you may find helpful information on what to do in that scenario in the Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

It may also be a worthwhile idea to look into PR card renewal in the meantime. For planning purposes, it may also be useful to note that processing time does not include the wait time before they receive the application, and starts once they receive a completed application. You may find it helpful to check processing times using the calculator on the IRCC website. You may also wish to contact IRCC directly for information related to your specific case, you can find contact information for IRCC here.
We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link