Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Short term leaving before I have received PR card 

JH123456
JH123456

Posted On: 10/20/2023
JH123456
JH123456
Hi,

I need to go and check on a family member who is struggling in life and need to leave Canada before I have received my physical PR card (I have been granted PR status).

It's impossible to get hold off anyone at the IRCC and so was wondering is it possible to leave and return to Canada without a physical PR card or are there any other options available?
link

Posted On: 10/31/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. You may want to contact IRCC directly via web form regarding the status of your PR card application and inquire about expedited processing.

Generally, if you need to leave without a valid PR card, you would need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada. You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

Here is an excerpt:
Ideally, you should wait until you have your Permanent Resident (PR) card. If you must leave Canada, you should apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document from a Canadian visa office abroad as soon as you reach your destination.
The only official documents that permanent residents of Canada can use to travel back to Canada on a commercial carrier (by air, land or sea) are the PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), also known as a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) issued by a Canadian visa office abroad.

For information specific to your situation or advice on how to proceed with an application, you may want to contact IRCC directly via web form or by telephone: 1-888-242-2100 (in Canada only). You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice regarding your situation.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link

Posted On: 10/31/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. You may want to contact IRCC directly via web form regarding the status of your PR card application and inquire about expedited processing.

Generally, if you need to leave without a valid PR card, you would need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada. You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

Here is an excerpt:
Ideally, you should wait until you have your Permanent Resident (PR) card. If you must leave Canada, you should apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document from a Canadian visa office abroad as soon as you reach your destination.
The only official documents that permanent residents of Canada can use to travel back to Canada on a commercial carrier (by air, land or sea) are the PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), also known as a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) issued by a Canadian visa office abroad.

For information specific to your situation or advice on how to proceed with an application, you may want to contact IRCC directly via web form or by telephone: 1-888-242-2100 (in Canada only). You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice regarding your situation.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link

Posted On: 1/23/2024
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Here is an excerpt from the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website:

“ You can work remotely for an employer outside Canada as long as you still meet the conditions of your study permit. This type of work doesn’t count towards your 20 hours per week off-campus work limit.”

In addition to the three points you mention, you can work remotely from Canada, so long as there are no Canadian clients.

“Extended periods” would be the amount of time an IRCC/CBSA officer permits you to work remotely from Canada, while you maintain your legal temporary status in Canada.

Please also note that any work you complete remotely while you are on a Study Permit in Canada cannot be counted towards any Permanent Resident application for Canada.

Further, it is worth noting that the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website places these responsibilities on a study permit holder in order to maintain their eligibility:

“As a study permit holder, you must:

• be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI), unless you’re exempt
  • show you’re actively pursuing your studies, unless you’re exempt, by
- being enrolled full-time or part-time during each academic semester (excluding regularly scheduled breaks)
- making progress towards completing your program’s courses, and
- not taking authorized leaves longer than 150 days from your study program
  • tell us any time you change post-secondary schools
  • end your studies if you no longer meet the requirements of being a student, and
  • leave Canada when your permit expires

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

This document does not contain legal advice.
This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC Universtiy of Toronto law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link
alexcray
alexcray

Posted On: 3/3/2024
alexcray
alexcray
JH123456 wrote:
Hi,

I need to go and check on a family member who is struggling in life and need to leave Canada before I have received my physical PR card (I have been granted PR status).

It's impossible to get hold off anyone at the IRCC and so was wondering is it possible to leave and return to Canada without a physical PR card or are there any other options available?

You'll need a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to return by commercial airplane, train, or bus. You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada.
link