Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

change in marital status on PR application 

ForumUser
ForumUser

Posted On: 10/24/2023
ForumUser
ForumUser
Hello

I received my COPR and my marital status is stated single but I informed IRCC of my change in marital status and added my spouse to my application. My COPR has the wrong information and when I submitted a form it went from approved to processing application, what can I do? Did my confirmation change? Will my wife be recognized on my application? I did inform IRCC months ago...
link

Posted On: 11/30/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. We appreciate your interest in this information. PBSC student volunteers are drafting a response with legal information that should be helpful. If you require immediate or further assistance, it may also be helpful to seek the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer about your situation. To find a community legal clinic in your area, visit Services Near Me.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link

Posted On: 11/30/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. We appreciate your interest in this information. PBSC student volunteers are drafting a response with legal information that should be helpful. If you require immediate or further assistance, it may also be helpful to seek the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer about your situation. To find a community legal clinic in your area, visit Services Near Me.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
rajsharma3
rajsharma3

Posted On: 1/31/2024
rajsharma3
rajsharma3
Contact IRCC immediately to inform them of the discrepancy in your COPR and provide documentation of your updated marital status. Follow up regularly, provide any requested documentation promptly, and clarify any concerns about your application status.
link

Posted On: 2/16/2024
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us, we appreciate your interest in this information.

All applicants are required to update Immigration Canada with any status change during their application process. So, if your status changed before going through the landing process, you are required to advise Immigration Canada and provide them with the update. Your application status changed when you became married to your spouse, so you did the right thing by submitting the webform.

What does “status change” mean?
A status change is when a person gets married, divorced, or has a child. A person’s status can also change if they have a new criminal charge or conviction that immigration is unaware of.

Also, you did the right thing by not crossing into Canada. If you had come into Canada with the incorrect COPR, s. 117(9)(d) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations would apply. This means that your spouse would not be part of the application and could not be sponsored in the future.
Since you advised IRCC that you are now married, you can have your spouse added to your application and she must be “examined”.

What does “examined” mean?
It means that your spouse has completed all of the necessary immigration forms, including police clearances, medical exam, etc. Then IRCC will complete the necessary background and security checks and will issue you both a new COPR, so long as everyone meets the requirements of the category.
We recommend that your spouse complete the required application forms and submit them with the necessary supporting documents as soon as possible to the Consulate.

We hope this information is helpful. You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer who is familiar with Canadian immigration issues for advice on your situation, and please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:

This document does not contain legal advice.

This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC Western University law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link
alexcray
alexcray

Posted On: 3/29/2024
alexcray
alexcray
ForumUser wrote:
Hello

I received my COPR and my marital status is stated single but I informed IRCC of my change in marital status and added my spouse to my application. My COPR has the wrong information and when I submitted a form it went from approved to processing application, what can I do? Did my confirmation change? Will my wife be recognized on my application? I did inform IRCC months ago...

• Consider attaching a copy of your marriage certificate and any previous communication with IRCC regarding your spouse being added to the application.
link