Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Landlord with experience needed 

JordH
JordH

Posted On: 10/30/2023
JordH
JordH
Thank you for reading my post first off. I am a younger and new landlord in need of some advice. I had a tenant move out on the first of October and he moved downstairs with his brother. He still owes me 600$ dollars for past rent and although the brother he is now living with assured me its only temporary and I'll get my money, I dont see him leaving or any sign of it as I also live in the same building. It's a terrible thing because these guys are up all night sometimes, there is a woman and her daughter living in the same building. Its really bothering all of us. I don't know a person who vacuums at 3am. The former tenant is no longer replying to text messages or calls. It's really starting to ruin the feeling of this nice place to live for me and the other tenants because there is tools and stuff on the side of the house still that are the former tenants'. I've done a bit of research do I give the previous tenant who is no longer a tenant a L10 form, then the existing tenat a A2 form? Ideally I'd like them both out.
link

Posted On: 10/31/2023
Hello M,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation. It sounds like it is quite stressful for you and the folks in your building

It is best that you contact a community legal clinic for some advice regarding your situation. It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

It may also help to contact the Landlord's Self-Help Centre directly for some additional information specific to your situation. The Landlord's Self-Help Centre is a non-profit community legal clinic which supports Ontario's small-scale landlord community exclusively.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
alexcray
alexcray

Posted On: 2/13/2024
alexcray
alexcray
JordH wrote:
Thank you for reading my post first off. I am a younger and new landlord in need of some advice. I had a tenant move out on the first of October and he moved downstairs with his brother. He still owes me 600$ dollars for past rent and although the brother he is now living with assured me its only temporary and I'll get my money, I dont see him leaving or any sign of it as I also live in the same building. It's a terrible thing because these guys are up all night sometimes, there is a woman and her daughter living in the same building. Its really bothering all of us. I don't know a person who vacuums at 3am. The former tenant is no longer replying to text messages or calls. It's really starting to ruin the feeling of this nice place to live for me and the other tenants because there is tools and stuff on the side of the house still that are the former tenants'. I've done a bit of research do I give the previous tenant who is no longer a tenant a L10 form, then the existing tenat a A2 form? Ideally I'd like them both out.

• Ditch text messages and send a demand letter through certified mail to the former tenant stating the amount owed, late fees, and deadline for payment. Include potential legal action if they fail to comply.
  • Consider small claims court: If the amount warrants, filing a small claims court case might be necessary. Consult with a lawyer familiar with landlord-tenant laws in your area to understand the process and potential costs.
link
jameslawson
jameslawson

Posted On: 26 days ago
jameslawson
jameslawson
First, document all communication attempts with the former tenant. Serve the L10 form to initiate eviction proceedings due to unpaid rent. Consult legal counsel for your region's eviction laws. Meanwhile, address disturbances with the current tenant, possibly through a written warning (A2 form). Consider negotiating with the current tenant to vacate peacefully, offering incentives if necessary. Prioritize the safety and comfort of all tenants while adhering to legal protocols. Thank You
link