Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR card renewal for my elderly mother 

chinook24
chinook24

Posted On: 1/25/2024
chinook24
chinook24
My mother has just received her PRTD RC -1 Single entry with a six month validity .
She intends to enter Canada within coming weeks, she is currently in the US.
Is she able to apply for PR card renewal right away?
How likely is it that she would have to wait for the remainder period of RO before a renewed card id issued to her?
As my only other sibling is in US she would like to have the flexibility to travel there.
Thank you
link

Posted On: 1/31/2024
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

According to IRCC, you must submit your application for PR renewal from within Canada, she can apply for renewal when she arrives. You can find more information on the process for PR card renewal on the IRCC website. Processing the application may take time, you may find it helpful to check processing times using the calculator on the IRCC website to estimate when she will recieve her PR card and able to travel with it again. If she finds herself in a position where he needs to travel and does not yet have his PR card, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

You may also be interested in IRCC’s Physical Presence Calculator as a resource to help you calculate the physical presence requirement. The FAQ section has examples and scenarios that are particularly helpful.

You may also find helpful information in our Settlement.Org article What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?
To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period.
The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. For PR renewal, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years from that date. You may also find helpful information on this matter in the previous discussion forum thread, When does the 5-year period begin?

We hope this information is helpful. You may want to seek the advice a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for information specific to your situation. You may also wish to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form for general information and advice regarding PR renewal.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link

Posted On: 1/31/2024
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

According to IRCC, you must submit your application for PR renewal from within Canada, she can apply for renewal when she arrives. You can find more information on the process for PR card renewal on the IRCC website. Processing the application may take time, you may find it helpful to check processing times using the calculator on the IRCC website to estimate when she will recieve her PR card and able to travel with it again. If she finds herself in a position where he needs to travel and does not yet have his PR card, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

You may also be interested in IRCC’s Physical Presence Calculator as a resource to help you calculate the physical presence requirement. The FAQ section has examples and scenarios that are particularly helpful.

You may also find helpful information in our Settlement.Org article What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?
To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period.
The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. For PR renewal, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years from that date. You may also find helpful information on this matter in the previous discussion forum thread, When does the 5-year period begin?

We hope this information is helpful. You may want to seek the advice a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for information specific to your situation. You may also wish to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form for general information and advice regarding PR renewal.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link