Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR card renewal 

wassupp
wassupp

Posted On: 15 days ago
wassupp
wassupp
Hi Everyone,

I became a PR back in 2009 when i was 7. However, because of my parent's work obligations, I didn't spend any time inside Canada, and my PR has been expired for years. In January 2022, at the age of 18, I entered Canada via the U.S. border and have been inside Canada ever since and never left to meet the residency obligation which i met last month

I mailed in my paper application on Jan 24

As of today, I still haven't received any AOR, and I'm still not able to check my application status or connect my application to my IRCC portal.

Does it usually take long to AOR or is it usually send before the PR is mailed
link

Posted On: 1 days ago
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

First and foremost, it appears that you’ve met your obligations thus far. According to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website,

“You will only lose your PR status if

• an officer determines you are no longer a PR after an inquiry or PRTD appeal following a refusal
  • you voluntarily renounce your PR status
  • a removal order made against you comes into force”

In other words, so long as a CBSA officer did not revoke your PR status upon investigation when you entered through the border in January of 2022, your PR status should still be valid.

If you have been in Canada for a total for at least 730 days during the last five years, you should be eligible for a new PR card. Given the fact that you mailed your paper application on January 24, so long as your entry into Canada was before January 24 of 2022, you should have met this requirement.

There is no official timeline for how long an AOR can take. However, judging from recent wait times, it appears to be completely normal for an AOR to take several months (as long as five to six at times). It is normal to not hear anything in the interim. An AOR will be sent to you before the sending of a PR card. You will not be able to link your application to the IRCC portal before the receipt of the AOR since the AOR marks the time in which the IRCC receives your application. Also keep in mind that if any part of your application was incomplete, it will be sent back without an AOR.

We hope this information is helpful. You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer who is familiar with Canadian immigration issues for advice on your situation, and please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:

This document does not contain legal advice.

This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC University of Toronto law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link