Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

CONTENTS 

HOTROD1975
HOTROD1975

Posted On: 3/5/2024
HOTROD1975
HOTROD1975
1: SO I WAS TOLD BY LANDLORD I GOT TOO MUCH IN MY UNIT FIRE HALL SAID I WAS FINE. ANYHOW IMPACT RECOVERY CAME WAS TOLD TO GET RID OF MY FILE CABIN CARPETS AND SOME OTHER STUFF.

2: ISSUE IS I AM ON ODSP I USE A WALKER AND ALSO A WHEEL CHAIR NOW THEY SAY I CANT HAVE WHEEL CHAIR IN MY UNIT. THERE HAS BEEN NO WRITTEN LETTERS OF COMPLAINTS. TODAY ONE GUY WAS SO RUDE. I IGNORED HIM. TODAY I ALSO TALKED TO MY PARENTS AND WORKER SOME SAID THEY CANT TELL ME TO GET RIF OF MY STUFF.

3: HAD ISSUES WITH ANOTHER PERSON. IN MY BUILDING HE HAD BED BUGS IT SPREAD FROM HIM TO THE PERSON BELOW ME AND THEN TO ME . I BEEN TRYING TO KEEP THIS PLACE CLEAN AS POSSIBLE. THIS WHEEL CHAR IS KEY LESS ONLY WORKS BY BUTTONS.
link

Posted On: 3/15/2024
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing, we appreciate this advice and concern for this situation. It may be best to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some additional information regarding what your rights are in this situation as a tenant. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of programs and services for helping housing law that may be of interest to you.

According to StepstoJustice, If you have a problem with cockroaches, bedbugs, mice, or other pests, your landlord must take steps to get rid of them and to stop them from getting in. This is a normal part of the maintenance that landlords must do.

As a tenant in Ontario, you have legal rights. These rights are explained in the Human Rights Code and the Residential Tenancies Act. You may find the article, What are my rights as a tenant? helpful.

You may also find helpful information in the StepstoJustice article, I have mobility issues, does my landlord have to make adjustments to the rental unit for me? Here is an excerpt:
Ontario's Human Rights Code says that if you have a disability, your landlord must try to accommodate you. This means the landlord must make adjustments so that you can use and access your apartment and your building. For example, your landlord may have to:
  • install a ramp or hand rails to make it easier for you to use the building
  • widen a doorway so your wheelchair fits
  • renovate your bathroom or kitchen so you can use them properly
The landlord may also need to change their policies if your mobility disability makes it difficult for you to follow the policies. For example, your landlord may have a policy that says rental payments must be made in the office on the 3rd floor, but the building has no elevator. The landlord may have to accommodate your mobility disability by allowing you to pay your rent another way.

Connecting with a community legal clinic should help you with this advocacy effort, I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link