Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Sponsored parents PR renewal - Taxes not filed 

nd
nd

Posted On: 3/26/2024
nd
nd
Hi,

My parents PR card renewal is coming up and I was wondering if they have to file tax return before submitting PR card renewal. They Lived in Ontario for more than 2 years but then went back and are now coming back to Canada to renew PR and stay here for some time.

They did not file taxes here as they were unemployed and sponsored by me.

Will this impact their renewal and should they file taxes before renewing PR?
link

Posted On: 26 days ago
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

In this situation, it is best that you contact the Canada Revenue Agency directly. You can contact them using this phone number: 1-800-387-1193 (Canada and United States) or through their online chat.

You may find helpful information in the following thread, here: Newcomer leaving & returning to Canada-notification? - Questions about Permanent Residency

You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, Do I have to file a tax return?
Here is an excerpt:
Canadian residency for tax purposes is not the same as residency for immigration purposes.
What if I am outside of Canada?
According to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), the most important factor in determining your residency in Canada for tax purposes is whether or not you maintain residential ties with Canada while you are abroad.
If you maintain residential ties in Canada, you may still be considered a Canadian resident for tax purposes. In this case, you have to pay Canadian income tax on your worldwide income.

The guides in this article would support you in determining residency status for tax purposes (which are different from residency for PR status). It may also be helpful to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice regarding your situation and help with your application.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
Your Settlement.Org Team
link
alexcray
alexcray

Posted On: 5 days ago
alexcray
alexcray
nd wrote:
Hi,

My parents PR card renewal is coming up and I was wondering if they have to file tax return before submitting PR card renewal. They Lived in Ontario for more than 2 years but then went back and are now coming back to Canada to renew PR and stay here for some time.

They did not file taxes here as they were unemployed and sponsored by me.

Will this impact their renewal and should they file taxes before renewing PR?

Hey there,

While filing taxes is generally a requirement for Canadian permanent residents, especially if they've been residing in Canada, being unemployed and sponsored might affect the tax filing obligation. However, it's crucial to ensure compliance with Canadian immigration regulations.

To be on the safe side, it's wise to consult with a qualified immigration advisor or a tax professional who can provide personalized guidance based on your parents' specific situation. They'll be able to advise on any potential impacts on the PR card renewal process and whether filing taxes beforehand is necessary.

Best of luck with the renewal process!
link