Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeElementary and Secondary School

Adult Education, Elementary and Secondary School...

Tax implications for non resident parents? 

flyinhk
flyinhk

Posted On: 22 days ago
flyinhk
flyinhk
Hi,
I'm a non-resident, Canadian citizen and my son (14 y.o.) is enrolled in HS that is currently out of Canada (Singapore).
If I'm able to enroll him in a Canadian HS, I understand he would be eligible to benefits as a citizen, and not subject to international fees.

However as neither parent will be joining him, are there any tax implications to us as non-residents, and does it make any difference whether he is enrolled in public school or private (boarding) school?
link
alexcray
alexcray

Posted On: 14 days ago
alexcray
alexcray
flyinhk wrote:
Hi,
I'm a non-resident, Canadian citizen and my son (14 y.o.) is enrolled in HS that is currently out of Canada (Singapore).
If I'm able to enroll him in a Canadian HS, I understand he would be eligible to benefits as a citizen, and not subject to international fees.

However as neither parent will be joining him, are there any tax implications to us as non-residents, and does it make any difference whether he is enrolled in public school or private (boarding) school?

• Generally, there are no direct tax implications for you as non-resident parents for your son's education in Canada. As Canadian citizens, your son wouldn't be required to pay income tax unless he starts earning income in Canada.
link