Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Applying for PR while in Canada visiting on a PGP 

Settled1
Settled1

Posted On: 6/6/2024
Settled1
Settled1
Good day all

In 2020 I submitted an Interest To Sponsor application for my mother via the Parents and Grandparents Program for which I received no confirmation of acceptance, as an alternative, as the IRCC website recommended, she then applied and was approved for a Visitor's Super Visa which allowed us to reunite as a family after a very long time, gratefully.

Recently (May 2024) I received approval to apply for Permanent Residence for my mother via my 2020 Interest To Sponsor, Parents and Grandparents Program from the IRCC and I have some questions which I truly hope you can assist with please:

My mother, who is 79 years old, happens to be currently visiting us in Canada under her Super Visa which will expire in April 2025:

1) Can I apply for her Permanent Residence through The IRCC invitation to apply via the Parents and Grandparents Program while she is in Canada on a Super Visa?

2) If not, how should I go about applying please?

I thank you in advance and look forward to your response,

Kind regards
link
ananittarhib
ananittarhib

Posted On: 6/9/2024
ananittarhib
ananittarhib
Great news about getting approval to sponsor your mother for Permanent Residence!
Yes, your mother can apply for Permanent Residence from within Canada on her Super Visa. This is a great advantage as it avoids the need for her to leave the country and re-apply.
Here's how you can proceed:
  • Follow the IRCC instructions: The Invitation to Apply (ITA) should have specific instructions on submitting the Permanent Residence application. Carefully follow these guidelines.
  • Highlight her Super Visa status: In the application, clearly state that your mother is currently in Canada on a valid Super Visa.
  • link
    Settled1
    Settled1

Posted On: 6/10/2024
    Settled1
    Settled1
    Many thanks for your response ananittarhib, much appreciated!
    link
    tarhibniamul
    tarhibniamul

Posted On: 6/21/2024
    tarhibniamul
    tarhibniamul
    Settled1 wrote:
    Good day all

In 2020 I submitted an Interest To Sponsor application for my mother via the Parents and Grandparents Program for which I received no confirmation of acceptance, as an alternative, as the IRCC website recommended, she then applied and was approved for a Visitor's Super Visa which allowed us to reunite as a family after a very long time, gratefully.

Recently (May 2024) I received approval to apply for Permanent Residence for my mother via my 2020 Interest To Sponsor, Parents and Grandparents Program from the IRCC and I have some questions which I truly hope you can assist with please:

My mother, who is 79 years old, happens to be currently visiting us in Canada under her Super Visa which will expire in April 2025:

1) Can I apply for her Permanent Residence through The IRCC invitation to apply via the Parents and Grandparents Program while she is in Canada on a Super Visa?

Kind regards

Thank you for your questions regarding the application for your mother's Permanent Residence through the Parents and Grandparents Program. Here are the answers to your questions:
  • Can I apply for her Permanent Residence through The IRCC invitation to apply via the Parents and Grandparents Program while she is in Canada on a Super Visa?
  • No, you cannot apply for your mother's Permanent Residence while she is in Canada on a Super Visa. The IRCC requires that the person you are sponsoring be outside of Canada when you submit the application. This is because the Super Visa is a temporary visa, and the IRCC needs to ensure that the person you are sponsoring is not already in Canada before processing the application.
  • If not, how should I go about applying please?
  • You should wait until your mother's Super Visa expires in April 2025. Once she is outside of Canada, you can submit the application for her Permanent Residence through the IRCC invitation to apply via the Parents and Grandparents Program. Make sure to follow the necessary steps and provide all required documents, including proof of income and family relationships.I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
    link
    Settled1
    Settled1

Posted On: 6/24/2024
    Settled1
    Settled1
    Thanks for your response tarhibniamul

Conflicting as it seems everyone else (here and on other Immigration forums) thinks one can in fact apply for the PR / PGP 2024 Program via Invitation from within Canada.
    Once invited, you're given only about two months to complete your application hence there is no option to apply later / whenever one wants.

Also, here is a line from the actual "Guide 5772 – Application to Sponsor Parents and Grandparents" page: "As of December 3, 2019, you need to give biometrics when you apply from within Canada. You can go to a designated Service Canada location." which is somewhat indicative, don't yo think?

Thanks for your input nevertheless

--------------------------------------------------------------

tarhibniamul wrote:
    Settled1 wrote:
    Good day all

Kind regards

Thank you for your questions regarding the application for your mother's Permanent Residence through the Parents and Grandparents Program. Here are the answers to your questions:
  • Can I apply for her Permanent Residence through The IRCC invitation to apply via the Parents and Grandparents Program while she is in Canada on a Super Visa?
  • No, you cannot apply for your mother's Permanent Residence while she is in Canada on a Super Visa. The IRCC requires that the person you are sponsoring be outside of Canada when you submit the application. This is because the Super Visa is a temporary visa, and the IRCC needs to ensure that the person you are sponsoring is not already in Canada before processing the application.
  • If not, how should I go about applying please?
  • You should wait until your mother's Super Visa expires in April 2025. Once she is outside of Canada, you can submit the application for her Permanent Residence through the IRCC invitation to apply via the Parents and Grandparents Program. Make sure to follow the necessary steps and provide all required documents, including proof of income and family relationships.I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
    link