Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeESL - Language and Literacy

English as a Second Language, LINC, Language Assessment, Translation and Interpretation, Literacy...

ESL certificate does not show level 

mbbzkrt
mbbzkrt

Posted On: 7/6/2024
mbbzkrt
mbbzkrt
Hello sir,

I have ESL certificate from George Brown Collage. I want to use this certificate for citizenship application, but I don't know whether I can use this certificate as a proof of English or not.

I saw that I can use ESL certificate which shows the level of English as an proof an language on canada.ca.

I add below the note from website:

Submit a copy of your certificate from the Adult Non-Credit Language Training Programs. These certificates must be for:
  • English as a Second Language (ESL)
The certificates must be dated December 2013 or later. They must show you have level CLB 4 or higher in speaking and listening.

Although we have to pass advanced class to be eligible to have the certificate, the certificate does not show the level of English. I asked to George Brown Collage that whether I can use the certificate for citizenship or not, they said they don't know the answer and advised me to ask a settlement agency.
I also asked some online groups the same question. Some people said that they used the English for Academic Purposes(EAP) certificate which does not show the level of English as well.

But I want to be sure. Can I use George Brown ESL certificate as a proof of language for citizenship application, although it does not show the level of language?

Can you help me please?

Thank you.
link

Posted On: 7/10/2024
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

According to IRCC's helpdesk article, What documents can I use to prove that I meet the citizenship language requirement?:

You can send us one of a number of different documents to show that you meet the language requirement, including:
For information on other forms of proof accepted, see:
You need to reach level 4 or higher to apply for citizenship. We use your documents to determine if you have reached this level for speaking and listening in English or French.
We will review the language proof you send us. We won’t process your application and will return it to you if your proof:
  • can’t be read
  • can’t be verified
  • isn’t included with the application
  • is in a language other than English or French (without a certified translation)

You may want to refer to the George Brown EAP chart, each GBC EAP level has a CLB equivalent. If you were enrolled in the program at George Brown College (GBC) EAP level 4 or higher, the equivalent CLB benchmark would be level 4 or higher. You may also want to contact IRCC directly for case-specific advice as to whether or not they will accept this certification before moving forward. The IRCC Client Support Centre can provide information specific to your application, you can reach them by phone (1-888-242-2100) or use their web form.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link