Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

returning to canada with different name 

Parking
Parking

Posted On: 7/17/2024
Parking
Parking
Hi,

I’m a permanent resident of Canada, and I recently changed my legal name. After that, I applied for a PR card renewal and passport renewal. I received the passport with my new name on it. However, the PR card renewal is still being processed. I need to visit the US for a couple of days by car. Is it possible to return to Canada with a different name on my PR card and passport? I have a name change certificate as well.
link

Posted On: 7/23/2024
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We can appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information.

According to IRCC's guide on Name Changes:
Changing the name on your passport can cause problemsBe sure to make all of your travel bookings, such as tickets and hotels, in the name you have on your passport. Your ID should also ideally match the name you have on your passport.
If the name on your passport doesn’t match your bookings or other ID, you might have problems such as
  • delays at border crossings
  • not being allowed on your plane, boat, train or bus
  • countries not allowing you to enter
This could happen even if you carry your marriage or civil partnership certificate, legal change of name documents or proof of citizenship with you.
You can ask the consulate of the country you plan to visit about your name change. If you have a travel agent, you can also ask them.

Whether or not you will be granted entry will be up to the CBSA officer. “There are a number of reasons you can be found inadmissible, denied a visa or refused entry to Canada.” The name change certificate with both your previous and current name will certainly help explain the difference in documents. But, you may still want to contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Call Centre directly to see if they have any information they can provide you. You can also contact IRCC via web form for advice specific to this situation.

We hope this information is helpful, please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team

link