Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeFinding a Job / Working

Finding a Job, Job Listings, Labour Market Information (LMI), Starting a Business, Social Insurance Number, Volunteering...

Unemployment Benefits 

Rlalloo
Rlalloo

Posted On: 7/24/2024
Rlalloo
Rlalloo
Hi,

I would like to apply for unemployment benefits. I'm a permanent resident and I've worked in Canada for the past year. Since I move around a lot, my permanent address is listed as my sister's house in Oakville even though I currently live in North York and work in downtown Toronto.

I've noticed that if I apply for unemployment benefits, how much you receive depends on the region you live in and the unemployment rate there (according to this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-regular-benefit.html). On this page, I can see there are different unemployment rates for different regions (https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1410035401 ). I was wondering if my permanent address location in Oakville would affect my benefits? From what I can tell, Oakville would still fall under the 'Toronto' region and the unemployment rate for Toronto would be considered for my application. Could anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
link

Posted On: 8/2/2024
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

In terms of how EI is calculated and how this is affected by region, you may find helpful information on this page, EI Regular benefits:

How we calculate your weekly benefit amountThe amount of weekly benefits is calculated as follows:
  • we calculate your total insurable earnings for the required number of best weeks (the weeks that you earned the most money, including insurable tips and commissions) based on the information you provide and/or your record(s) of employment
  • we determine the divisor (number of best weeks) that corresponds to your regional rate of unemployment
  • we divide your total insurable earnings for your best weeks by your required number of best weeks
  • we then multiply the result by 55% to obtain the amount of your weekly benefits

In regions of Canada with the highest rates of unemployment, we’ll calculate using the best 14 weeks. In regions of Canada with the lowest rates of unemployment, we’ll use the best 22 weeks. In other regions, the number of weeks used to calculate benefits will be somewhere between 14 and 22, depending on the unemployment rate in those regions.

You may want to contact Service Canada directly for case-specific information and advice specific to your situation. You can also call them toll- free at 1-800-206-7218. We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link