Lost password

MelM

all messages by user

5/7/2014
Topic:
Can PR be Fast-Tracked to get OHIP?

MelM
MelM
No - PR cannot be fast tracked to get OHIP.

You should also keep in mind that once her PR visa is approved and she "lands" in Canada and officially becomes a PR - there will still be an additional three month waiting period before she will qualify for OHIP.

The baby can still be born in Canada without OHIP. However you will have to pay for all of the expenses associated with the pregnancy and delivery.
5/8/2014
Topic:
Can I Appeal the Visitor Visa Refusal?

MelM
MelM
"Pro bono" means for free. It's the term commonly used when lawyers offer their services to someone at no cost.

So what I am saying is that there is certainly nothing stopping you from contacting individual lawyers yourself to find out if any of them will take your case for free.

You would likely be much better off spending your time re-applying. I think the chances of finding a lawyer willing to take your case for free is very slim. I think the chances of winning your case in Federal Court are unfortunately even slimmer.
5/27/2014
Topic:
OHIP for my Wife

MelM
MelM
She will be covered for OHIP three months from the day she returns to Canada. If possible you should plan to return to Canada in July or August instead to ensure your wife has OHIP coverage before she gives birth (in case the baby arrives early). Note that during the three month waiting period, you will have to pay for all doctor visits and any tests on your own.
5/30/2014
Topic:
IMM 0008 - Why Can't I access it?

MelM
MelM
Try using a different Internet browser.
6/10/2014
Topic:
PR card Renewal - Out of Country

MelM
MelM
You must meet the residency requirement in order to renew your PR card. Studying outside of Canada is not accepted as a reason for failing to meet the residency requirement.

If you wish to keep your PR status, you should return to Canada before your PR card expires (preferably as soon as you can) and then not leave Canada until you have lived in Canada for 730 days out of the last 5 years and meet the residency requirement. You can then renew your PR card.

Note that if you decide to return to Canada too close to the expiry of your PR card, there is a chance you may be reported by immigration for failing to meet your residency requirement. If you are reported, you will then have to appear in front of a judge to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status.
6/12/2014
Topic:
EI and Sponsorship

MelM
MelM
Are you certain the letter said that you could not receive EI benefits? Sponsors cannot be on Ontario Works (social assistance / welfare) while they are sponsoring. However there is nothing preventing them from taking EI and sponsoring at the same time. I would verify that the letter mentioned EI and not OW / social assistance / welfare. You should have no issues going on EI.
6/24/2014
Topic:
Parent Sponsorship Breakdown

MelM
MelM
As you mentioned, you are financially responsible for your parents and brother for 10 years from the date of landing. If they apply for social assistance and end up receiving it, you will be responsible for paying back any amounts given to them within the 10 year support period. If your brother is making enough money to support himself - but is blowing too much on luxury items, then he shouldn't qualify for welfare. Your parents' needs may be a different matter. Unfortunately it's probably in your best interest to either provide some support to your parents and brother until the ten years are up (to keep them off social assistance) - or somehow convince your parents to move back in with you. Good luck and sorry you're in this situation.
6/25/2014
Topic:
COPR Document - Client Copy

MelM
MelM
Follow the instructions here to request a replacement copy of your CORP:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/amend.asp

Processing times are around six months.
6/26/2014
Topic:
Pregnant and Looking for Health Insurance

MelM
MelM
Most private health insurance policies do not cover any pregnancy related costs since this is classified as a pre-existing condition. The only policies I'm aware of that do cover pregnancy related costs are very expensive and also carry the condition that you cannot become pregnant within the first 10 months of having that insurance policy. So since you are already pregnant, you unfortunately wouldn't qualify for these policies. Keep in mind that insurance companies are in the business of making money. So if you do manage to find a policy that covers you, that policy will cost you more than if you just paid for the doctor visits yourself.
6/27/2014
Topic:
Visitor Visa, Family Sponsorship and Lost PR

MelM
MelM
If your wife and son never came to Canada to "land" and become permanent residents - then there is nothing to appeal because they never became PRs. They have to apply again from scratch.

I don't see why your family sponsorship application won't be approved - as long as you complete the paperwork properly. It's clear your relationship with your wife is genuine and there will be no issues sponsoring your children. However you won't be able to leave Canada while their application is being processed because you are a PR and because you are so close to not meeting your own residency requirement for keeping your PR status.

Yes - to be approved for a tourist visa (TRV) your wife and children must prove that they have strong ties to their home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. Since you are a PR, there is a very good chance their TRVs will be refused.

I would try to get a TRV for your family first and see if it's approved. If it is refused, then you will have to make the difficult choice to either proceed with the family sponsorship application and be separated from your family for around 2 years - or give up your PR status and be reunited with your family immediately.
6/29/2014
Topic:
Hospital Lottery Homes - Question

MelM
MelM
See their web site:

http://www.princessmargaretlotto.com/one/faq.php

ARE THE PRIZES DONATED?
No. All prizes are purchased by the Foundation using the tender process.
7/14/2014
Topic:
Child Tax Credit

MelM
MelM
You must be living in Canada to recieve the credit. If you move to a different country, your child will no longer be eligible for the credit. See:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/cctb/fq_qlfyng-eng.html#q4
7/15/2014
Topic:
Can a PR be Deported for a DUI?

MelM
MelM
You won't have issues returning to Canada. However if the DUI is relatively recently (within the last few years), it's entirely possible you're inadmissible to the US.
7/17/2014
Topic:
When can I Renew my PR card?

MelM
MelM
The new citizenship laws apply to everyone. It doesn't matter when you became a PR.
7/18/2014
Topic:
When can I Renew my PR card?

MelM
MelM
No - that's not true. Don't listen to your friend.

Welfare has no impact on the residency obligation calculation.
1234 ..16