Lost password

MelM

all messages by user

4/29/2015
Topic:
Citizenship by Birth - Questions

MelM
MelM
No - you are not eligible for citizenship automaticaly because you have a Canadian born child. You aren't even eligible automatically for permanent residency.

Once your Canadian child is an adult, they can apply to sponsor you for permanent residency. To qualify to sponsor you, they will also need to be living and working in Canada and have made enough money for at least three years to meet the Low Income Cut Off for sponsoring parents.
5/5/2015
Topic:
How can I Renew my PR after Studying Abroad?

MelM
MelM
Based on the information you have provided, you don't have any humanitarian & compassionate reasons that would be accepted by CIC. Studying outside of Canada is not an accepted reason and unfortunately having family in Canada will not help.

However since you are already in Canada, what you should do now is remain in Canada (without leaving for even one day) until you have lived in Canada for 2 years straight. You can then apply to renew your PR card since you will have met the residency requirement.
5/5/2015
Topic:
Need to take Citizenship Exam?-Grade 9 History

MelM
MelM
Yes - absolutely.
5/7/2015
Topic:
Moving to Canada - Wife Pregnant

MelM
MelM
1. Yes - after the three months waiting period your wife will qualify for OHIP and pregnancy expenses will be covered.
2. You will have to pay for all of the costs related to the pregnancy on your own for the first three months. There are private insurance policies available - but they have to be purchased before the person being insured is pregnant. So unfortunately it's too late for you and your wife to benefit.
5/19/2015
Topic:
PR card and Citizenship

MelM
MelM
Four years from the date you arrive in Canada provided you don't leave the country for even one day during those four years.
5/20/2015
Topic:
How can we declare our undeclared child?

MelM
MelM

Hi
I have a daughter before I married my wife. She was invited by her sister to relocate to Canada with d family. She was told not to include my daughter name as an dependant that it may lead to delay but now she know it was a lie and the local office have contacted her for some additional documents, she do not want to continue only on d ground that i inform CIC of my daughter. I was advice by a friend that informing CIC at this stage will lead to refusal. Please I need an advice if to and how to inform CIC

You'll need to provide more information.

How has your wife been sponsored to Canada by her sister? As a dependent in her parents' sponsorship application or through a different stream like a Provincial Nomination program?

What is your status in Canada if any? Are you included in your wife's application for PR?
5/20/2015
Topic:
Partner Sponsorship

MelM
MelM
Assuming you apply outland - it will likely be around the 6-8 month mark.

No - you won't be able to work once you start the application process. Open work permits are not granted as part of the outland application process - then are only granted as part of the inland process (approximately 4 months after the application is submitted). Applying inland is a bad choice for someone from the UK since the processing times are so long (outland is a much better choice even though no open work permit is provided).

If you want to work before PR status is granted, you'll have to find an employer who is willing to offer you a full time job. That employer will then need to obtain an approved LMIA which will involved advertising the job for a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role, paying a $1K fee and then waiting 2-4 months for the LMIA to be processed. If the LMIA is approved, you can then apply for a work permit tied to that specific employer (closed work permit).
5/21/2015
Topic:
Citizenship Changes in 2015

MelM
MelM
Yes - once the changes to the citizenship rules are in place - they will apply to you.

Note that we don't know for certain that the rules will come into place in June. If the rules come into place after August - then you'll be able to apply in August under the old rules. If the new rules come into place before you are ready to apply, then you will have to wait until you meet the new 4 out of 6 year rule.
5/22/2015
Topic:
How can we declare our undeclared child?

MelM
MelM
You must add your new child to the application or you will never be able to sponsor your child for PR and bring your child to Canada. If you fail to add your child to your application now - you will also be committing misrepresentation which can result in your PR status being revoked. The only option is to add your child to the application.
5/22/2015
Topic:
Getting sponsored by cousin-in-law

MelM
MelM
No - unfortunately it's not possible to be sponsored by your cousin-in-law. You are not a qualifying family member that he is allowed to sponsor. Even once your cousin sister has PR - sponsorship still won't be possible. If you are interested in immigrating to Canada - you'll have to look into options for qualifying on your own once you have finished school and have at least one year of work experience. Good luck.
5/23/2015
Topic:
PR Card renewal and PRTD

MelM
MelM
There is only one class of PRTD and the PRTD only allows a one-time entry. There is no such thing as a multiple entry PRTD.
5/26/2015
Topic:
WES - Wrong Assessment - Please Help

MelM
MelM
Your WES assessment is most likely correct based on the information you have provided. Keep in mind that your qualifications are being assessed based on what the equivalent education would be in Canada.

In Canada, Bachelor degrees are 4 years (not 3). For this reason it's actually quite common for Master's degrees from India to not be counted as a separate / complete degree. Having said that, you can certainly ask WES for a reassesment. Before you do that, I would recommend you search a few more forums on the web to see how others with similar degrees have been evaluated by WES.

Based on how your education has been assessed today, you will recieved points under Express Entry for the completed Bachelor degree. Unfortunately you won't receive any points for the one year of graduate study.

Hope this helps.
5/28/2015
Topic:
Sponsor Cousin

MelM
MelM
Unfortunately it's not possible for your aunt or cousin to sponsor you. If you wish to immigrate - you'll have to qualify on your own. Information about Canada's immigration programs can be found in the link below:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

Unfortunately there is no specific web site which lists companies who are offering job opportunities to foreign workers. However you are certainly free to apply for jobs in Canada and to try to find an employer who is willing to go through the process of sponsoring a foreign worker. Good luck.
5/31/2015
Topic:
Can I renew my PR Card when not meeting residency?

MelM
MelM
The processing times posted on the CIC web site are correct. These processing times are for standard applications (standard applications are applications where all of the required documents are included AND where the applicant meets the residency requirement). Since you didn't meet the residency requirement, your application is non-standard and won't follow normal processing times.
6/3/2015
Topic:
Giving Birth to a Baby with Expired OHIP

MelM
MelM
Because you have been outside of Canada for such a long period of time, you are correct in understanding that you are no longer covered by OHIP. To once again have OHIP coverage, you will have to return to Canada and live in Canada for three months. There is no way to expedite this process. You must live in Canada for the full three months before you'll have OHIP again.

During this three month period you will be responsible for paying for all health care costs out of your own pocket. There are private insurance policies that cover pregnancy-related costs - however these policies must be purchased before the person is pregnant. Since you are already pregnant, private insurance is unfortunately not an option.