Lost password

MelM

all messages by user

6/9/2015
Topic:
Temporary SIN Number Possible? - Sponsorship

MelM
MelM
It depends on how you applied for PR. If you applied using the outland (outside of Canada) process then there are no open work permit / temporary SIN options available. If your husband wants to work before he has PR, he will have to find a company who is willing to offer him a full time job offer and also able to obtain an approved LMIA. He can then apply for a closed work permit.

If you applied inland, you should submit an application for an open work permit. Once the OWP is granted, he can start working.
6/9/2015
Topic:
Insurance Scam - How do I report it?

MelM
MelM
Follow the instructions here:

https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/about/warning-notices/Pages/what-to-do-scam-victim.aspx
6/10/2015
Topic:
Take a cruise trip to Alaska without PR card

MelM
MelM
It's not just getting off the ship that may be a problem - the first issue will get getting on the ship (i.e. boarding at the start of her cruise). She will only be allowed to get on the ship without a valid PR card if she holds a visa exempt passport.
6/10/2015
Topic:
Permanent Resident - Child born overseas

MelM
MelM
Your next step is to apply for a TRP (temporary resident permit) now that the TRV has been refused. If the TRP is refused as well, then one of you will need to travel to Canada first and sponsor your daughter from there while the other parent remains in your home country with your daughter until her PR visa is approved. Make sure you meet the residency requirement when you apply to sponsor your daughter.

You do not need to speak with the visa office to apply for a TRP. To apply, you need to submit a TRV application along with supporting documents to explain why your daughter is inadmissible and why it may be justified for your daughter to enter Canada. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/permits.asp
6/10/2015
Topic:
Take a cruise trip to Alaska without PR card

MelM
MelM
You cannot apply for a Travel Document from within Canada. You can only apply for a travel document from outside of the country. Unfortunately the US visa isn't of any help. I'm not sure I see an obvious way out of this. Have you contacted the cruise line to confirm their visa/passport policies?
6/10/2015
Topic:
Absence from Canada while been sponsored

MelM
MelM
No - his absence will not prolong the 10 year sponsorship undertaking.
6/15/2015
Topic:
IMM5540 Question # 10

MelM
MelM
You should answer "no". You applied for PR to come to Canada yourself - you were not sponsored.
6/18/2015
Topic:
How do we get PR for our newborn?

MelM
MelM
He is not eligible for OHIP as a visitor to Canada. He will be become eligible for OHIP three months after he becomes a PR. You should purchase private insurance to cover any emergency health care costs while he is still in Canada as a visitor.
6/22/2015
Topic:
Will C24 Affect PR Status?

MelM
MelM
There is no impact to your PR status. For citizenship you will fall under the new rules. This means that you will have to live in Canada for 4 out of the last 6 years before qualifying to apply for citizenship.
6/24/2015
Topic:
Presence in Canada

MelM
MelM
The new rule applies to you (it applies to everyone who hasn't submitted their citizenship application yet regardless of when they became a PR). You will have to wait until you have 4 years of residency in Canada out of the last 6 years before you will be eligible to apply for citizenship. Additionally, any time spent in Canada before becoming a PR no longer counts towards the citizenship residency requirement. This means the earliest you will qualify to apply is November 2017.
6/27/2015
Topic:
Super Visa - Question

MelM
MelM
You cannot apply for a super visa until you officially have PR. To qualify to sponsor your mother for a super visa, you must be making enough income to meet the Low Income Cut Off (LICO) level for super visas. If you are not making enough income to meet the minimum, then the only option at this time is for your mother to apply for a regular visitor visa.

To ensure she can get a super visa, you must be making enough money to meet LICO, your mother must pass the medical and your mother must also provide evidence that she has strong ties to her home country and has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. A super visa can still be refused for the same reasons as a regular visitor visa (e.g. purpose of visit and lack of travel).
6/27/2015
Topic:
Can my friend courier my PR card to me abroad?

MelM
MelM

What about sending a PR card through a person travelling to your home country by plane? Is this legal? Please advise. Thanks!

Yes - perfectly legal.
6/28/2015
Topic:
Citizenship and 54 Years of Age

MelM
MelM
No - you aren't exempt. The rules for citizenship changed a few weeks ago. Only those 65 years of age or older are now exempt from the test. So you would have to write the test and pass it in order to get citizenship.
6/29/2015
Topic:
Citizenship and 54 Years of Age

MelM
MelM
The guide is still valid. The test itself hasn't changed - just the age rules.
6/30/2015
Topic:
Travelling to Another Country via Canada

MelM
MelM
Unfortunately the Confirmation of Landing is not enough to allow travel by airplane. You need to either have PR cards or Travel Documents to transit through Canada. The airline won't let you board the plane without one of these documents. Note that Travel Documents are only good for one entry into Canada.