Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

all messages by user

6/29/2020
Topic:
List of reliable Immigration Lawyers / RCIC ?

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We are glad to hear from you too, and hope that the community can also share their experiences with you.

(a) Is there a "Official" recommended list of lawyers or RCIC's that can help us? We've collected a list from searching online, however, the reviews are inconsistent and we are worried of potential scammers and people taking advantage (fake reviews etc.)

You may find helpful information on how to find a reputable and registered lawyer or immigration consultant in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get?.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

(b) Based on peoples experience, are there any pros/cons to hiring a lawyer vs. an RCIC?

The Settlement.Org article, Should I get help with my immigration application from an immigration consultant or lawyer? may also provide some insight on the type of help and advice you can receive from a lawyer or immigration consultant.

We hope the community can also share their experiences with either service in this thread.

(c) Calling all DYI-ers. Do you have any tips / recommendations / resources that could help us if we choose to complete the application ourselves?

If you are looking for more information on Sponsorship, you may find Settlement.Org article How do I sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent child living outside of Canada? a helpful resource. This article provides an introduction to the IMM 5289 Guide: Sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/29/2020
Topic:
Question Regarding Written Tenancy Agreement

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may find helpful information in the Steps To Justice article, What can I do if my landlord doesn't use the standard lease form?. Here is an excerpt:

The Ontario government has a standard lease form that most landlords must use for tenancy agreements signed on or after April 30, 2018.
Landlords are not supposed to rent a place without a written agreement. And the agreement should be on the standard lease form.
You can’t force the landlord to use the standard lease form. But the law gives you certain rights if they don’t.

Steps to Justice provides users with legal information and options for next steps. For next steps on this issue follow this thread.

If you would like legal advice, you may wish to contact a Community Legal Clinic for more information. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me. You may also wish to call the Landlord and Tenant Board at 1-888-332-3234 or 416-645-8080 (in the GTA) for information specific to your situation. The landlord and tenant board resolves disputes between residential landlords and tenants.

If you contact 211 and speak to a Community Resource Navigator, they may be able to refer you to community services in your area.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/29/2020
Topic:
Transformer substations (TS) located in the baseme

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation.

You may want to call the Landlord and Tenant Board at 1-888-332-3234 or 416-645-8080 (in the GTA) for information specific to your situation. The landlord and tenant board resolves disputes between residential landlords and tenants.

If you would like legal advice, you may wish to contact a Community Legal Clinic for more information. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/30/2020
Topic:
Employer initiated relocation for PNP PR - SINP

Hi There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We can appreciate confusion about all the information in your particular situation.

We have received some information from one of our legal researchers; and apologize for the delay. We hope you find their information useful:

Each province operates their own unique Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) which is designed by the province to help meet their economic and demographic needs. Typically, as a permanent resident of Canada, you do not have to inform any authority on your intent to move out of the Province. However, this may be different for a permanent resident who obtained their residency through the PNP.

The mobility rights of an individual under the PNP program is subject to certain regulations (under section 6(3)(a) and (b) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms) which creates several limits to mobility. This mandates that immigrants who obtained PR under the PNP should remain in the province which they applied for about two years to show their intention.

This does not mean that a PNP applicant can not leave the Province. There are certain things that you can do before deciding to leave that will still show you had or have an intention to stay in Saskatchewan. This can include, but not limited to, 1. Actively looking for jobs within Saskatchewan, 2. Properly documenting your job hunt (include proof of your job applications), and 3. Exhaust all means of finding employment in Saskatchewan. From your situation, it appears that you have actively searched for a job even during the period of time you were working with another employer. It would be best if you could compile all your job applications during this time for proof.

In the situation in which you do not get a job offer, or you are offered a job out of province that is for a higher position, then your move out of the Province may be legally justified. In your case, with proper documentation, you may be able to work in Ontario without any adverse consequences on renewing your PR card and obtaining Citizenship.

It is highly recommended for you to contact the Saskatchewan Immigration Services directly for some confirmation on this matter as this may be decided on a case-by-case basis.

Please keep in mind this is only legal information, it is not legal advice. If you want or need legal advice you will need to contact a reputable lawyer or the nearest Community Legal Clinic regarding your situation.

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
6/30/2020
Topic:
Citizenship Reapplication Process/Fees

Hello There,

According to a representative at IRCC, applications are eligible for a refund if your application has not begun processing yet. It is best that you contact IRCC’s client support centre directly for information specific to your application. Due to the current situation with COVID-19, it is advised that you contact IRCC using their web form.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
6/30/2020
Topic:
Help finding a job in Mechanical Engineering

Thank you for sharing your question with the discussion forum. We hope that you found the information helpful, please feel free to share updates or ask more questions here in the discussion forum.

Sincerely,

The Settlement.Org Team
7/3/2020
Topic:
A eviction notice was given to our family

Hello There,

You may find helpful information in the Steps to Justice article, I was not able to pay my rent this month and my landlord is threatening to evict me. What can I do? Here is an excerpt:

Landlords can’t evict you themselves. This means they can’t change the locks and they can’t get someone else, like the police to evict you. There is a process that landlords have to follow.
On March 19, 2020, the Ontario government put an order in place that stops all evictions until court and tribunal offices open again. But if the landlord can convince the Superior Court of Justice that the situation is extremely urgent, the court might make an exception.
If your landlord is threatening to evict you now, there are a few things you can do:
  • Call the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit (RHEU) at 1-888-772-9277 (toll-free) or 416-585-7214. The RHEU can contact your landlord to discuss the situation. They might be able to get your landlord to stop, or to let you back in if you’ve already been evicted illegally.
  • Call your local community legal clinic and tell them that what is happening. You can speak to a lawyer or legal worker for free. They might be able to contact your landlord, or make an urgent application to the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB). It’s best to get legal help if you want to go to the LTB. Their physical offices are closed during the COVID-19 emergency and they are only accepting certain types of applications.
  • If you can’t get legal help, you can make an urgent application to the LTB using their online Form T2. There is a $45 filing fee which you will have to pay by credit card or debit card.
  • Call the police non-emergency number. Sometimes police officers won’t get involved in this kind of situation. But many police forces are aware of the danger of illegal evictions during the COVID-19 crisis.
One housing lawyer has posted this more detailed list of suggestions if you think you are in danger of being evicted illegally.

It is best that you contact a community legal clinic for some advice regarding your situation. It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service.

Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
7/6/2020
Topic:
WES Evaluation Status on Hold

Gsatnam wrote:
Hi i want to do evaluation for wes but i received my 1 semester marksheet late i started b.degree 2014 to 2017 and my roll no. Is also different in first semester sheet . What i have to do ?

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your question with us.

It is best that you contact WES directly for information specific to your case. Be prepared with your WES reference number and call the (+1) 800-361-6106 or use their contact form.

For information about contacting WES, you may find the Settlement.Org discussion thread Problem With My WES Evaluation Report useful. You may also find helpful information in Settlement.Org articles on credential evaluation.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
7/6/2020
Topic:
Looking for building insurance

Hello There,

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, What kind of personal insurance can I get? Here is an excerpt of some resources provided in the article:

• Choosing an Insurance Provider - Tips about how to choose an insurance company and a directory you can search to find insurance companies from Insurance Canada.
  • Insurance Canada - Information about different types of insurance and links to providers.

We hope that the community can share their experience regarding property insurance with you. You may also find helpful information at the Landlord's Self-Help Centre is a non-profit specialty community legal clinic funded by Legal Aid Ontario and mandated to provide support exclusively to Ontario's small landlord community.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here. We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
7/6/2020
Topic:
Will My Divorce be Recognized in Ontario?

ForumUser wrote:
I'd like to know if Ontario will recognize a legal divorce in Japan. My ex-wife and I were married in both Ontario and Japan. We divorced in Japan.

Hello There,

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, Will my foreign divorce be recognized in Canada?

Here is an excerpt:
If you were divorced outside Canada, you need to prove that your divorce was legal in that country before you can get re-married in Canada.

According to Family Law Education for Women (FLEW) [PDF], your foreign divorce will generally be recognized by the Canadian government, if you or your spouse lived in the country where you got a divorce for at least 1 year before the start of the divorce proceedings.
If neither of you lived in the country for a year, your divorce may still be legal if the person who applied for the divorce can prove they have a “real and substantial connection” with the country. For example, if it is your country of origin and you returned there after the divorce, or you own property or spend a lot of time there.

If you got a divorce outside of Canada, you must get authorization from the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services before you can get a marriage licence in Ontario.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
7/6/2020
Topic:
How can I request a letter confirming my SIN?

Hello There,

Service Canada is still accepting SIN applications online or by mail. You may want to review their application guide for instructions on how to request confirmation of your SIN.

Here is an excerpt from the “What you will need before you apply” section:
To apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN), request confirmation of your SIN or to amend your SIN record, you must provide 2 documents:

There is no fee to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN). You can also find articles about the Social Insurance Number (SIN) on Settlement.Org.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
7/15/2020
Topic:
Are settlement funds taxed?

Hello There,

In addition to PMM’s response, you may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles How do I bring money into Canada (proof of funds)? and I am immigrating to Canada. How do I bring my belongings with me?.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
7/15/2020
Topic:
Are settlement funds taxed?

Hello There,

In addition to PMM’s response, you may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles How do I bring money into Canada (proof of funds)? and I am immigrating to Canada. How do I bring my belongings with me?.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
7/16/2020
Topic:
Services for Those with Physical Disabilities

mehrdad wrote:
hello i am sorry i have no where else to go i came across this forum. i am struggling to help my father with ALS in home modification . i am having difficulty picking him and carting him to shower and washroom . i have been stock at the march of dime application can not get 2 quote for same project to get different contractors. i do not have the fund to help him modify the house. our house is older house can not put in ramps inside the house that ALS canada has provided they are very long and metal and unsafe and heavy. stair lift chair is very hard to use as still we can not pick him up . he is on wheelchair only and can not move his hand and leg

please i am not sure where else or what else to do. all i know me and my mom are struggling daily. i have called #211 left message for Niagara region ,

not sure what else i am suppose to do . i understand due to Covid 19 resources are limited but please i am also loosing my health and need to care for my own health after brain Cancer. if i leave my Dad no one else will be able to help. i am hoping at least he can use wheelchair to get to washroom and shower and in and out the house.

thank you for taking the time to read my message
i am sorry for the rant
Mehrshad Riazati

Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We understand that this may be a stressful process, and we hope to provide you with helpful information that will connect you with some community resources you may be looking for.

It sounds like you are looking for advocacy support with the application process and financial assistance. You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, What financial assistance can I get if I have a disability? and browse 211 Ontario’s website for funding, programs, and related services for people with disabilities.

211 would be able to help narrow your search. If you have not been able to connect with a community resource navigator over the phone, you may want to try using their online chat service. If you are looking for support with the application process, you may want to request services that offer assistance completing forms and applications.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

While caring for family, it is essential to also care for yourself. You made a good first step by reaching out to us, and we hope that you continue to reach out for support when you feel this way. You may want to contact 211 and speak to a Community Resource Navigator about refer community support and mental health services in your area.

Here are some resources from the Settlement.Org article, Where can I get help with my mental health?:
Find a Mental Health Professional
  • Mental Health Helpline - This free, confidential phone line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They provide information about mental health services in Ontario. Information is available in over 170 languages. Information by email or web chat is also available.
  • Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) - CMHA offers many different kinds of mental health services. You can find a local branch by searching by province or postal code.

There are more options listed in the article, feel free to browse for information. 211 will be able to help tailor your options to your location and specific needs. We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
7/21/2020
Topic:
ESL - at Private College

Hello There,

You may want to contact TESL Ontario and TESL Toronto to find out if they have information on the processes for starting an ESL school or classes in Toronto. They may also have information on guidelines and funding streams such as LINC.

If you’d like to look at different funding opportunities for this type of program, you may find helpful information on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website in the Funding section.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team