Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

PMM

all messages by user

1/19/2021
Topic:
Citizenship Application Fee - exemption?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Chiimoko wrote:
Hello

I am assisting my client (65 years old female) to apply for Canadian Citizenship.
She came to Canada as a refugee about 7 years ago, and PR since Aug 2017.
She is on ODSP assistance.

She can now apply for citizenship. However, she is concerned about the expensive application fee ($630).
I am wondering if there is any exemptions, waiving, or financial support available for this individual.

Kindly let me know.

Thank you.

1. At the present time there are no fee exemptions for Citizenship applications.
1/29/2021
Topic:
Principal applicant

PMM
PMM
Hi

Syphon74 wrote:
I'm not the principal applicant, however I'm the one with the resources, I would like to know if there's a way to make the landing first because everywhere I read, they only say that if I'm not the principal I couldn't enter first, even in my COPR in the last line, it says dependant: my wife, I don't really understand, in my landing do they have information about who the principal is? I really think it's absurd. Thanks

1, No, the principal applicant has to "land" first. The dependent can "land" later or at the same time.
2. You may think it is "absurd" that is the law.
2/9/2021
Topic:
Child born in Canada to Visiting Immigrant Father

PMM
PMM
Hi

Obinna. U wrote:
My Child was born in Canada during my visit here. Child obtained Canadian Passport after birth due to Mother being Canadian. Can Child just stay permanently in Canada or are both Father and Child still required to leave Canada and undergo processing and usual checks for admissibility?

1. The child received his/her citizenship through birth in Canada, not through the mother.
2. The child can remain in Canada as he/she is a citizen. No Immigration checks, he/she is not included in the application either, just listed on the IMM 5406 Section B.
2/11/2021
Topic:
Citizenship Application Fee - exemption?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Micca wrote:
Hi..I was born in Canada and have lived in uk all my life, I would like to forfill birthright and become a Canadian citizen..what is best way of doing this and what fees are involved??.. would like to get citizenship for both my children in uk as well..any advice please.. many thanks michael

1, As long as your parents are not diplomats at the time of your birth, you are a Canadian citizen. All you have to do is apply for a Canadian passport.\
2. Depending on the age of your children, they are probably already Canadian citizens. They have to apply for proof of citizenship. They should use the following APP to determine if they are citizens. : https://na1se.voxco.com/SE/56/amicanadiansuisjecanadien/?lang=en&tui=auto
2/18/2021
Topic:
When will my passport be returned?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Goodness44 wrote:
Hello,
My passport was taken at the border when I sought refugee status, Will it be returned after I am given a permanent residence status?

Thank you.

1. Yes, that's when it is returned or if your clam is refused, it will be returned at the airport when you leave Canada.
2/24/2021
Topic:
citizenship language requirement proof

PMM
PMM
Hi

tamara wrote:
Hello,

I have an inquiry regarding the citizenship language proof. I understand from the IRCC website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/language-proof.html) that a university diploma or transcript can be used as a language proof. I did study in an English speaking institution, and both my transcript and diploma are in English language. However, the diploma and the transcript do not specifically indicate the language of instruction. Would that still work?
If not, can I submit my IELTS certificate which I used for my PR application even though it is expired (dated 2014)?

Thank you

1. Expired Ielts certificate used for Immigration can be submitted, even if they are expired.

2. If you wanted to use your degree, you would need a statement from the school that all the instructions was in English.
3. Use the Ielts.
3/2/2021
Topic:
Hotel Quarantine

PMM
PMM
Hi

ForumUser wrote:
Dear Sir/Maam,
Where do I go to quarantine for COVID as a new immigrant to Canada? Do i need to do a three-day hotel stay? How do I book that, and where can I go for financial help on booking the stay for me and my family? What are the rules around this?

1. Yes, you will have to quarantine for up to 3 days at a hotel at your point of entry until you receive a negative Covid test. You will have to have a plan for the remainder of the 14 day quarantine period.
2. The hotel listings are here: https://tinyurl.com/ydapfwd8 as well the instructions.

3. Only refugees being resettled are eligible for financial help.
3/3/2021
Topic:
Permanent residence with an expired passport

PMM
PMM
Hi

Mo wrote:
Hello
I have applied for the express entry from within Canada, but unfortunately my passport expires in 5 month and I am not able to renew my passport ,until next .due to the military service in my home country, It takes around a year to be able to get a new passport. Is it possible to receive the permanent residence card if my passport is expired if I am applying from within Canada ?

1. Yes, there is no requirement for PR card renewal to have a valid passport.
3/30/2021
Topic:
Can I add my parents in Generic Application Form

PMM
PMM
Hi

DatTran wrote:
Hello,

My name is Dat, sponsored by my wife. I'm filling out the Generic Application Form For Canada (Imm 0008enu_2d). And I'm a little bit confused with dependants sections. So my questions are:

1) Can I add my parents to this form? If I can, will I choose the " Other" option to write " My father or mother" in the box? Is it necessary to fill out my spouse because she had permanent resident already?

2) Are both the IMM 5669 and IMM 5406 be filled out and signed by my mother, father, and me?

3) If they have to fill the form for their own, could you please guide me with specific details, which will apply for my parents?

1. No, they are not your dependents as defined.
2. You complete the IMM 5406, just list your parents and siblings.

3. They don't complete the forms, it is your application not theirs.
4/8/2021
Topic:
Resubmission of photos for PR card

PMM
PMM
HI

gill_vinny wrote:
Hi, I got a letter from IRCC about resubmitting the documents and photos but I am in India and they gave a PO box for sydney nova scotia. Can i send documents from India? and what is the address ?

1. Address is the post office box.
5/4/2021
Topic:
PRTD under H&C grounds

PMM
PMM
HI

holydevil wrote:
We came to Canada in 2004 and left in 2005. I was a 12-year kid back then and had to whatever my parents used to say. Now I am 27, have enough money, have scored 8 bands in IELTS, and a master's degree holder. So, can I apply under H&c for PRTD.

1. You can try, but I don't think you will have much success since you have been an adult for 9 yeas. If you had applied to return when you were around 18-20 a much better chance.

2. Your IELTs and degree have no bearing on PRTD application.
5/4/2021
Topic:
Expired PR card while living abroad with spouse

PMM
PMM
Hi

asmaasafar wrote:
Hello ;

My PR card vailed between (2015-2020) during that I have been accompanied with Canadian citizenship Spouses abroad.
How could a renewing my PR WHILE I am abroad?
Or

Could I travel to Canada with my expired PR?

1. You can't renew a PR card unless you are residing in Canada. You would need a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return.
5/24/2021
Topic:
Marrying a foreigner and permanent residency

PMM
PMM
Hi

amancioau wrote:
Good Day:

If I marry a foreigner in Ontario while she is visiting me and sponsor her for permanent residency afterwards, can she wait for her permanent residency in Canada or will she have to return to her home country and wait there until the permanent residency is approved?

I am a Canadian citizen and my fiancee is a South Korean citizen. We met in South Korea in 2014 when I used to work there and have been in a relationship since that time (in person while I was in Korea and long distance since moving back to Canada).

I know South Korean citizens do not need a separate visitors visa to come here and visit and they can stay for 6 months at a time, so we plan to get married here in Ontario once Covid restrictions are lifted and she can come to visit.

After getting married, will she have to return to South Korea while I sponsor her permanent residency, or is there a way that she can stay in Canada while she waits (i.e., I apply for another visa to extend her visit, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

1. If you marry, you can submit an "in Canada" spousal application while she remains in Canada. She must keep her status valid though, through the processing.
2. The instructions are here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/apply.html
3. note that she may have difficulty entering Canada at this time, as it is closed except for essential travel. Coming to Canada to marry is not considered essential travel.
6/4/2021
Topic:
Language proof

PMM
PMM
HI

Rio04 wrote:
I have my celpip expired copy. I wonder my scores are eligible or not celpip (L -4 w-5 R-5 S-5) is this eligible CLB level or should I take exam again?

1/ As long as you have 4 or higher in Listening and Speaking you are fine.
6/21/2021
Topic:
Citizenship application for minor

PMM
PMM
Hi

Moderator wrote:
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

According to IRCC, a minor who has a Canadian parent or a parent who is applying for citizenship at the same time (under the 5(2) application) does not have to have also been physically present in Canada 3 out of the last 5 years. You can find more information on the IRCC website on the "Apply for Citzenship - Minors" web page.

We hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

1. The OP should note the child must be in Canada (whether meeting RO requirements or not) to be included in the application.