PMM

all messages by user

1/13/2015
Topic:
How do we get PR for our newborn?

PMM
PMM
Hi

1. As a PR you have to be in Canada to sponsor.
2. You will have to apply for TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) for the child, if you wish to take him to Canada and then submit the sponsorship application.
3. If the TRV is refused, then you can request a TR(Permit) or one of the parents will have to return to Canada and start the sponsorship.

PMM
1/16/2015
Topic:
Can my parents also get a visitor visa?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi, I sponsored my parents in March 2011 and send additional documents as per cic's request in Oct 2014.......didn't receive AOR yet and no sign of Sponsorship approval. I also requested ATIP report almost 1 and half month back.....no reply yet. I called cic but was told to wait.
Also, i want to apply for visitor visa for my parents. DO you think there will be any problems getting one; since their PR application is in-process.Any suggestions anybody??

1, Well at least they should be starting to work on the application as they are processing applications from April/2011. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp
2. There shouldn't be any problems for them to visit. That is what the grandparents/parents super visa was made for. Up to 2 years visit at a time. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/supervisa.asp

PMM
1/17/2015
Topic:
PR Renewal Questions

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi

Hello
I am a dual Canadian/UK citizen & my partner has PR for Canada which expires in May
Unfortunately, although we regularly travel between the 2 countries, we have not been living in Canada for the required 2 years out of 5 - this is due to my partner having to be in the UK for legal counsel & medical reports etc. for a compensation claim following an accident at work. This was meant to have been settled over a year ago but the goalposts are moved every 6 months & settlement is now anticipated for June. Plus I have a business in UK that I have been trying to sell.
My question is; once we declare our absences from Canada will my partner get his PR renewal? Will it be better as I am a citizen? Or should we just let his PR expire & reapply for his PR once we actually come to live for good, hopefully following June?

Feeling worried............

1. As you are a Canadian citizen and if you are accompanying your partner abroad, his PR is safe.

You may also count days outside of Canada as days for which you satisfy the residency obligation in the following circumstances:

OPTION 1. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada

You may count each day that you accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada provided that the person you accompanied is your spouse, common-law partner or parent (if you are a child under 19 years of age).

Evidence required

You must provide supporting documents to prove that:
The person you are accompanying is a Canadian citizen; and
You are the spouse, common-law partner or child of that person.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA

PMM

Fantastic news - we can prove all of that
Big weight lifted..............
Thank you so much :-) :-)

Just one more quick question - can he apply while in UK with me? Or does he have to be in Canada for application?

Canada

PMM
1/18/2015
Topic:
Citizenship and Divorce Issue

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello all,

So i was sponsered by my wife and i came to canada in November 2011 as a permanent resident.

We had our child in October 2012. With the time, our relationship deteriorated and we separated in December 2013.

Now i want to apply my citizenship and my wife is threatening me to have me deported. She had also filed a divorce.

Can anyone help me out from this stressfull stituation?

Thanks

AH

1. Your wife can't have you deported. It is unlikely that CBSA/CIC would see your marriage as one of convenience, as ti lasted over 2 years and you have a child in Common.
2. If you are eligible just apply for citizenship.

PMM
1/19/2015
Topic:
Transfer Money Later... Need to pay Tax?

PMM
PMM
Hi

My family's just got PR and plan to land on May 2015.

However, some of my properties and stock in stock market cannot sell in time.

So I plan to bring money in just enough to fulfil "the proof of fund" and transfer in later in 6 months.

Do I need to pay tax for that?

1. Not on the money itself, but any any increase in the value of the property and the stocks from the date of your "landing" to the date that you sell them, will be subject to capital gains tax in Canada.
2. So ensure that you know what the value of these items are when you "land"

PMM
1/19/2015
Topic:
Apply for TRV and/or TRP? - For my Child

PMM
PMM
Hi

Greetings,

To fulfill my Residency Obligation to stay in Canada for 2 years out of 5 years, I must return to Canada before 15-Jul-2015.

I have my own child (now 1.5 years old) who was born outside Canada and holds an Indian Passport.

In order to return to Canada along with my newborn child, I am supposed to approach nearest Canadian Embassy to get Entry Visa for my newborn child. Here I am confused, should I apply for TRV or TRP ?

Although there are ample Blogs/Discussions related to the same issue !

But, I did not find any satisfactory/straight answer endorsed by CIC or related competent authorities from Canada.

Your advise/guidance might help hundreds of people facing same issue as mine.

Thanks - MUZI

1. You first apply for a TRV and if that is refused, then you request a TRP for the child. If both are refused, either you or your spouse (if both are PRs or if you are single) one will have to return to Canada to submit the sponsorship.

PMM
1/19/2015
Topic:
Divorce and PR Status - Can I be Deported?

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello,

I have conditional PR of 2 year conjugal cohabitation. Now when my file was in processing my wife was expecting baby and when landed in Canada I was already having daughter. And immigration officer stamped conditional PR. So now how can I change my conditional PR could you please suggest me. I would appreciate for you quick response.

Jack

1. You can't. As you didn't have a "child in common" when your spouse submitted the sponsorship.
2. So you have to cohabitate with your spouse for 2 years after your "landing" if you wish to retain your PR status.

PMM
1/20/2015
Topic:
Sponsoring Sister and Nieces

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen now I am single, 48 years of age, no children, Im alone here in Edmonton and presently working in the Hospital. I want to help my sister (she is single mom) and her two daughter age 8 and 12 to come here in Canada by sponsoring them. In what way or how can I sponsor them.

Thank you

1. You could only sponsor them if you are single,no children and your parents are deceased,and you don't have a Brother/Sister/Aunt/Uncle/Niece/Nephew living in Canada.
2. If you meet that criteria, then start reading here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives.asp

PMM
1/21/2015
Topic:
Extend Visitor Visa for my Parents

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello,

Can you advice if we can and how to extend visitor visa for my parents, they are in Canada for almost three months

We are permanent residents in Canada, and I can support them.

Also we are here for more then 4 years.

Thank you.

Regards,

The information and forms are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp

PMM
1/22/2015
Topic:
Sponsoring Sister and Nieces

PMM
PMM
Hi

1. As your mother is still alive, then you are not eligible.

PMM
1/22/2015
Topic:
Questions about Sponsoring my Spouse from USA

PMM
PMM
Hi

1. If there is an interview, it will be in either LA or New York, unlikely to be an interview, unless there are problems in the applications.
2. Only your spouse completes the IMM 5406.

PMM
1/22/2015
Topic:
Easiest Way to Pass Canadian Citizenship Test

PMM
PMM
Hi

I am going to take test in Feb 2015, can any one from you suggest me on how to prepare for the test.

I have gone through the Discover Canada: The Rights and Responsibilities of Citizenship book and some online practice websites i.e http://www.thecanadiantest.com

Please guide me on best online websites offering free materials and sample questions.

Thanks

Use the practice tests here: http://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/

PMM
1/25/2015
Topic:
Questions about Sponsorship

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello,Im a canadian citizen,and my husband is
an israel citizen,i want to do a sponsorship
for him,since he currently lives in israel,and
wants to join me in toronto.

my question is,how long can it take from the moment
we complete the sponsorship request ,to the moment he
gets accepted,and how much time will it take for him
to get a immigration visa(working & staying visa).

in other words how much time does it takes to complete
the whole process of him coming here and being able
to find a job,since we dont want him to be job-less
for too long :)

1. The present processing time is 85 days in Mississauga for a complete sponsorship/application approval or refusal and 80% of applications are processed in 10 months in Tel Aviv. The forms are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp
2. If the aponsorship and application are approved, then a COPR is issued, and once your spouse "lands" he is a permanent resident.

PMM
1/25/2015
Topic:
PR card Renewal

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hi,

Have a PR card expiring in Nov. I read that its a good idea to apply 6 months before it expires but not more than 9 months before. That means I can apply as of Feb, however if I send the application out am I still allowed to travel? I will be out of the country from Feb to August (6 months) which means I will be back before my current car expires but if I wait my renewal will not be completed before my old card expires (with current processing times).

What should I do?

1. Sure you can still travel as you will have your present PR card, which is valid.

PMM
1/26/2015
Topic:
Have not Received My PR card Yet

PMM
PMM
Hi

Hello,

I am a new immigrant landed on 19 december 2014... I have not received my PR card yet...I want to go back to Pakistan for couple of month to take care of some unfinished business. I have given immigration my friends address, can he bring my PR card to pakistan personally ....and legally.

many thanks

ali

1. Yes he can either mail/courier/or carry it for you. If he is carrying it, you better give him a letter authorizing him.

PMM