KnowledgeIsForEveryone

all messages by user

6/17/2014
Topic:
Permanent Resident Card - New Immigrants

KnowledgeIsForEveryone
KnowledgeIsForEveryone
Hi

My parents came to Canada on April 2, 2014. They were told back then that they will be getting the cards within 2 months.

Unfortunately, we urgently need to leave the country at the end of the month and we still didn't get the cards. Today is the 76th day.

We called CIC and we learned that they increased their processing time to 94 days. The call centre agents are not helpful with providing us with the application status. They don't even want to look up the application saying the processing time is not over 94 days.

I am just wondering if people who landed at the beginning of April 2014 can confirm or not if they got their cards already. We are hoping my parents' cards got processed in an earlier batch (not the 94 days batch)

Since we will be out of the country for 1 week, we won't be able to apply for a travel document. The only option is to cross the border and use the CoPR to enter the country at Buffalo.

We are already stressed planning the re-route flights to buffalo (will pay extra too), asking a family member to cross the border to pick us up and bring us back to canada from Buffalo.

We would like to get some feedback about the process: Is it a lengthy and difficult process to enter using CoPR?

Is there any other option we forgot to think about?

Many thanks
KnowledgeIsForEveryone
6/26/2014
Topic:
Permanent Resident Card - New Immigrants

KnowledgeIsForEveryone
KnowledgeIsForEveryone
Sorry to hear that, aleksandra.

May be you can try flying to one of the US airport closest to where you live and then crossing over to Canada using a private car.

According to CIC, you can enter Canada using the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (without a PR card) if you are travelling by private car.

As suggested by Anna, please see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=064&t=10

Hope this helps
KnowledgeIsForEveryone

my family become permanent residents on March 7. On May 25 we went for holiday without permanent card, because processing time for permanent card was changed from 54 days to 94 days. Fromcic.gc.ca we were told that we can travel just before coming back we have to go in visa center to apply for travel document. When we went to visa center in Vienna they refuse to give us travel document because our permanent resident card was issued the day before on Jun 9. Card is not arrived in our mail box in Canada, we must cancelled our plane tickets, we suppose to start working on Jun 18 but we are steel stuck in Bosnia and Herzegovina. To send Statutory declaration about never received card we have to white one more month( on cic.gc.ca said 6 weeks after card is issued). until that time we are not going to have money to pay mortgage, bills and we will be fired from work. Is there anything that we can do to go back to Canada? we worked hard for so many years on LMO, and did so much paper work to get permanent card and now we are stuck on holiday. People going in Canada like tourist, and we are not allowwd like permanent residents. Thanks!
2/1/2015
Topic:
OHIP - First Year Residency Requirement Question

KnowledgeIsForEveryone
KnowledgeIsForEveryone
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to figure out if my parents will still be covered by OHIP when they come back at the beginning of March 2015. I would appreciate any clarifications you guys can provide on how the calculation works.

The following is from the list of requirements for OHIP coverage:
----------------------------------------------------------------
- be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period
- be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province

I don't quite understand how the "any 12-month period" work.

Here are the details of their physical presence in Ontario:
----------------------------------------------------
- Landed in Ontario April 2, 2014
- Left Ontario on Sept 11, 2014
- They spent 6 days out of province in July 2014

I believe from my calculation that they meet the "153 days of the first 183 days" requirement even though they left for a long period slightly before the first 6 months.

First 6 months = from April 2, 2014 to Oct 2, 2014

During that 6 months period, they were absent from Sept 12, 2014 to Oct 2, 2014 (21 days of absence). In total, according to my understanding, they were therefore absent from Ontario for a total of 27 days during the first 183 days (21 days + 6 days of absence in July).

Mathematically, they meet the requirements for the first year or am I mistaken?
How soon should they come back? because I'm confused as to when the 12-month period start?

They got their OHIP cards already (around 4 months from the day they landed).

I called OHIP and even went to one Service Ontario office yesterday. They told me to ask my parents to come check their eligibility when they arrive. However, I need to know in advance because they will need to purchase health insurance before they come if they are not covered. Is there any way to get a confirmation about their status (since so far no one at OHIP is willing to confirm).

Many thanks
KnowledgeIsForEveryone