ForwardLight

all messages by user

6/28/2014
Topic:
Issue with the Citizenship Test Officer

ForwardLight
ForwardLight
Hi,
I went and had my citizenship test done and I passed with 20 out of 20. The interwvy with the citizenship officer went really bad. I am a Canadian resident from Sweden for 20 years. The officer started the minute I sat down to be condescending and discriminatory towards me. When I said I was Swedish he smirked at it and said I know Swedish people. He mocked me over being a model when I came to Canada and tried everything to make me nervous so I would answer wrong. I was already a little nervous about the test etc. so I messed up on some dates when I came back from a trip from Sweden (still way within the legal time I am allowed to be outside of Canada).

He was extreamly intimidating and nasty. After the test I waited outside and he walked over to a man from another country (the officer, S****, was from that part of the world too) and he told that man that he had passed the test and he was then invited to a restaurant with their national dishes.

I did not get to take my citizenship oath the next day, he needed to investigate me further. I was stunned, since I passed 20 out of 20 and had all papers correct and have been a resident of Canada for 20 years. What can I do? Is there a place to go and complain about discrimination and sexist behaivior? He said I will be investigated further and in 3 months maybe I will get my ceremony.

How much power does a citizenship officer really have? Is he the one that decide?

I can still not believe how I was treated(it made me cry)!

I would really appreciate an answer to this and have anyone else been discriminated against like this?